Contemporary Style Lighted Display Shelf

I think this is a neat portion of the site and thought I would give it a try, 

A few projects in the works, and I chose this one for a few reasons. A) it is a Veneer project. I am new to the world of raw Veneer and for the past month been putting together my rig, and researching procedures and techniques.  I went to the Veneer Supply folk and bought the Build your own / parts kit Vacuum pump from them, also a 6’x4‘ 20ml   vacuum bag, Some Ultra Cat Glue, roller , saw and a few other bits and bobs. I built a set of Platen boards, however with experimentation now use the breather mesh on top and only a bottom platen. Its just easier to get in and out of the bag with the breather mesh. So all in I spent about $550 ish to get rolling with this system.

Also B) Im starting this project in the morning so I can document it right from the start, ( as well ask for help from y’all along the way if I get ina jam). 

My client wants a Contemporary style Display shelving unit. so I came up with this design  (this is my first real drawing with sketchup and have a total of about 2 hours playing with it so this is a conceptional drawing only) The substrate is 3/4 MDF , walnut & Tamo Raw veneer , 3/4” hammered Tube with a rainbow torch finish  ( done with chemical Metal Finishes Plus products) and 1’2 “ glass shelves. This Unit will be lighted from the top and bottom, The bottom with the up lighting is not final as to how im going to do it so its missing from the sketch at this time. My basic thought is to do all LED and have the top lighting white and the up lighting a light amber to accent the wood inside the shelf. Ok thats the Idea lets see how many things I can change through out the building process as I seem on these sorta things to use the evolving design theory as steps get completed. Ok here we go ! weeeee

DispySlf2_zpsb46b2d4c.jpg

DispySlf_zpsa9bb7e44.jpg

DispySlf1_zps8f7cb83d.jpg

Neat looking design and great veneers. My only concern is whether the glass shelves will be stable on those three point supports. It looks like anything heavy, placed on a back corner, would tip them off. You might want to make a mock-up first, out of scraps and use some 1/4" ply for shelves. Put a book on the back corner and see what happens.

Yep guys spot on , I have figured on running some 1/4" wide flat stock from the back to the front of the shelfs cross members on both ends with a tiny 1/4" stopper bit at each end of that flat stock, and the little rubber hoo haas for the glass to sit on.   

So haven't even started yet but it seems as though the Segrams and Diet Coke company has persuaded me to swop the walnut for this Sapele, It seems to flow better with the color vibe...

Saple_zps2a96a155.jpg

Yep  wdweker, I have spent quite some time in the last month reading Joe's site , its really great and a certain go to place for those looking to get into the veneer game. 

So For Todays progress on the shelf unit: I pressed all the Veneer panels and all went ok. However I did break a rule and changing the bare walnut veneer for the outside of the shelf to the paperback sapele veneer,  opposing the inner side of raw tamo veneer did cause a very slight bow favoring the raw tamo side. As per joe " use the same thickness of veneer ,glue as backing veneer to achieve an even pull keeping the substrate strait. I will follow this rule from here on. This 0pps should not be an issue for this project as discussed later in the game. As I have never used a non vacuum clamping press , I cant comment on how they work , But as I am using the vacuum pump / bag system, have to say it worked like a charm for me. Super easy to use and the panels came out awesome! perfectly flat ( the veneer) , glue hard as nails (Ultra Cat Powdered Mix Glue with added lightener ). I pressed the panels for 4 of the recommended 4-6 hours that the Ultra Cat glue suggests and went with the fact that its 95 ish here in AZ so the low end of the time frame would be ok and as it turned out it was was.

I gave em a sprits of water to raise the grain sanded with 320 and gave a first coat of Deft Sanding sealer, waited a hour  sanded with 320 and 0000 steel wool gave em a wipe down with Naphtha and brushed another coat of sanding sealer.  This Saplel veneer is very nice in its uniform strait grain structure and color. The Tamo Is crazy cool in its figured look and with just a bit of sanding sealer on it pop a 3- D gag that is unreal , the photos defiantly do not do it justice. Ok another DOE!!  on the large back panel I had to joint the Tamo together as per the size of what I had in veneer as per what the size of the back panel is. It Seems as though the Panels of veneer were not cut close together and panels a few cuts away, and when I went to pair up the seem they were a few bits off and no way to line them up on ether side.   Hmmmmm. Again as for this project The support Hammered Metal at the back will cover this so luckily its a non issue.

So Cut all the Hammered Tube and released to late in the day to get a re fill, my brother in Law that was over the other day had ran the welder out of gas.. ....  His punishment will be to produce a nice bottle of something I wouldn't spend the money on this weekend at our BBQ.

OK so the update, see pics for reference LiLDWS

DsplyShlf1_zps71d26187.jpg

DsplyShlf4_zps0f8ab4f1.jpg

DsplyShlf2_zpse9243751.jpg

DsplyShlf3_zps2a142561.jpg

So as the holiday weekend is here , very little time has been spent on the project , I welded up the frame for the "Hammered Tube" shelfs , Changed the 1/4 strap Idea to Hammered Tube running front to back on the ends for better shelf support ( thanx guys for pointing that out ! ) Ill plug the exposed ends with plastic caps to finish the look. Next step , blend some welds and apply the finish to the metal , Explanation in next update for that process.

Dslshlf1_zps8ba94f61.jpg

Dslshlf3_zpsd2cad60e.jpg

Dslshlf2_zpse45f516b.jpg

That's looking pretty cool so far.  I like mixed media.  But if you're handy with metalwork, do you think you could fabricate some metal caps?  That would take it to the next level.  I don't know about using plastic...kinda cheesy IMO.  Maybe even make some wood caps out of maple or sapele?  Anything but plastic.  This is a handcrafted piece, yeah?  :)

Yep Eric you are spot on and have the designer eye, thanx for the input. It Seems with these custom projects (99.99.9% of what I do) its as said an evolving process as per building step is completed. Kinda like painting in the snow , Ya never really know how its gonna turn out.. I also find as a Designer that its that last little element that sets it off and signals its done. Eric I think the end caps is that little touch that will achieve finality for the project. Im thinking something square as throughout the design are strait square lines. (feel free to toss ideas in the hat all) . Another angle to the end caps would be that I dont really have a secure way to hold the glass shelves in place (only had planned on placing the clear rubber little thingys between the metal and glass) and maybe the end cap solution could accommodate that as well. As far as the TBA Bottom of the unit I think I will place a Mirror panel in the bottom to reflect light and as well showcase an alternative view of objects on the shelfs. Im in hopes this will be cool as opposed to a bunch of "made in Taiwan stickers. So Todays limited work time did give me the chance to put the finish on the metal work. I did this with a product called metal finish plus. Its a spray on game in two stages, the first a copper look and the second a rainbow torch look. Then top coated with clear.

MfPlus_zps32f6841e.jpg

MfPlus1_zps77814b2f.jpg

MfPlus2_zps9210f51f.jpg

mfplus_zpsf7088983.jpg

Ok so in changing the plastic end caps I went out and grabbed some same style metal ones, ruffed em up on the grinder and applied the same finish as the shelf supports. I have Final finished the interior portions of the panels pre assembly as It would be a pain to access them when all together. I used Deft Gloss a few ish coats and buffed em with Behlen Deluxing Compound. Time to get to putting all the pieces together, I hope I have enough duckt Tape......

SPLshlf_zpsfa21e47b.jpg

SPLshlf1_zps89a9f9e0.jpg

Well progress slow on this one however the client said , no big hurry (mistake in my shop) so other projects have been given attention for those clients that "Need it Right Away". Any hoo so Assembly has started , everything fitting nicely , and starting to look like something. As an after thought I realized I needed some Sapele edge banding, well as ya might guess its not a stocked item here in town, and looking on the internet Veneer supply has it but ya gotta buy a bunch at $28 + shipping. I need about $3 worth and although Veneer supply has all the stuff , I have had no luck with them shipping Items out in a timely fashion. I place an order 3 or 4 and has been 5 Days later they get around to shipping it, so if I get stuff from them I call it a week and as well there shipping rates are out of hand. Sooo I explored alternative avenues , 1) cut my own with Sapele that I have, 2) Use Mahogany edge banding that I have , its very close but not spot on, 3) wait a week to get the stuff from Veneer supply 4) the option that I went with , I tooled over to the wood shop and purchased a small board of sapele that I will cut into 1/4" thick strips and finish all the edges with that. Im thinking this will be nicer in the end and grand scheme of things.  Ok so this bottom panel , I have toyed with various ideas most are involving the lighting aspect of the unit. I have decided ( at least for this evening) I have enough Tamo Veneer to do that panel and contemplate to do so. Ok Thats The update , a few pics as well for ya to look at. LDWS

dplslf2_zpsdbb50ca6.jpg

dplslf_zpscc793dd2.jpg

dplslf1_zpsfaeb4a5b.jpg

dplslf3_zpsa45710b0.jpg

So I zipped up some 1/4" strips from the Sapele , glued and pin nailed em in place , dabbed a bit of "opps putty" on a few lines, cut some top & bottom facias , gonna wait to let all dry, sand and finish all exterior aspects next, and continue to pontificate on the bottom interior panel. The glass shelves and bottom mirror should be ready on monday , think I have to put em in to see it all together prior to the final final final decision for that panel. LDWS

dplslf_zpsa3cd8db0.jpg

dplslf1_zps764ecd6b.jpg

dplslf2_zpse06f0042.jpg

Sean ,  yup Busy for sure!  So an element in the design was to have a big contrast for a simple Exterior to a very out spoken interior. Kinda like those rocks they have Looking rock like but when you crack them open have a brilliant crystal interior. As a lighted display case I wanted the Interior to be part of the display as well. Also as a note this piece goes in a man cave Room that everything is quite eclectic , and this piece will fit the bill. Now would I put this in a formal living room or traditional dining room, no not so much. Should have it done in a few days to catch the whole vibe.  Thanx for the input , Im always interested in others thoughts and design direction for projects, its part or learning new stuff every day !

I have installed the lighting system and due to the close proximity to the internal sided used LED Bulbs as they generate no heat and as well will last forever and a day. Just finishing up interior bottom panel and waiting for the glass shelves to be ready. I went to a foo foo glass dealer close to my shop and although they have a multitude of interesting glass , they are not fast as I ordered the shelves Mid last week. Ok next update should be the final product.

dplslf_zps7687d33b.jpg

dplslf1_zpsf275d0c9.jpg

Glad to see the interior with the lights on.  I had been concerned with the metal flanges beneath each of the supports (Was there no way they could have had blind fasteners?  The zinc screw heads look out of place.  At the least, you could torch the zinc off and apply the same patina as the rest of the piece.) but now that I see it with the lights on, those parts are in the shadows.

Rob,

What Ya dont like them sticking out like a sore thumb ?   ha ha   No really I have some Finishing edges that cover them up completely. In reality The pics I have been taking are of the unit on the work bench, and from a proper viewing angle ( Unless your are shorter than 3'10") they are not seen at all. However I still planned on the finishing edges as if a person was to look into the mirrored bottom they would be seen. Dont have access to my camera today but will post some close up pics next post that will be a final project ta show what I did there. Now you ask why are they there at all? well its on account of my mistake adhering and not following the correct veneer possess ( a few posts up) and the boards bowed slightly. I used the screws to pull the tiny bit of bow out of them. 

Chris, purely a design element.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...