Festool Vacuum 'Auto Start' not working

Hey gang - I've got a Festool CT vac and for the past 6 months the auto start will not turn on a tool when it is plugged into the vacuum power. Doesn't matter whether I plug in a Festool tool or non-Festool, I get no juice. I've been having to plug my sander into a dedicated wall outlet, and turn the manual switch on the CT whenever I begin so it kicks on. This is a major pain and defeats the purpose of having the auto-start in the first place! I contacted Festool and they want me to send the unit in for repair, which I find ridiculous since shipping both ways plus repair will be both expensive and time consuming. Is this a quick fix, maybe something I can do on my own? Anyone gone through this before? And yes, I've bought new plug-it cords so this is not the problem. Thanks!

You only get juice when switch is in auto setting.  if you are not getting power on multiple tools, then it's the switch assembly.  perhaps there it's internally fused and would be easy to fix.  I've had FT-USA talk-me-through a repair on a kapex (because it's a pain to send in).  Perhaps if you ask, maybe they'll do the same for you.

Triple H, thanks for the reply and yes to clarify it is the Auto setting that is not sending any power to my tools. The last time I called Festool service they basically told me it was the switch assembly and to send the vacuum in which I thought was pretty tedious.

Success! I took Paul-Marcel's advice and went to Eagle Tools and was able to get another power receptacle assembly, hooked it up, and voila. Auto-start works again! And Paul-Marcel will be happy to learn that I was able to walk out only having bought the spare part and a sheepskin pad for my Festool sander.

Knew you couldn't get out of there with "just" the assembly.  Naturally, you needed the sheepskin pad to polish the vac after disassembly... completely justified.  Jesse is a favorite among the locals cuz he stocks parts like that; no production shop wants to wait on a spare parts shipment.  He also still has replacement batteries for the C-12 (original non-LithIon); handy if you still have that model like me.

Next trip to Eagle, I'm getting an Inca bandsaw

==>  I was able to walk out only having bought the spare part and a sheepskin pad for my Festool sander

Reminds me of an incident years ago…

Wife and I do our typical Saturday am BORG run.  We split-up and get our own carts with our own lists and have at it.  We agree to rendezvous at the “Tool Coral” – of course.

A short time later, I’m happily browsing the aisles of the “Coral” as if in an alcoholic haze – sort of like the way most guys browse to figure out what Secret Victoria is keeping…  But I digress…

The following conversation penetrates my cosmoline-induced-stupor… “Can I help you Mam?”…  “Yes, you can help me get my husband out of here before he buys something – or starts drooling on the floor”… 

Actually, this scenario repeated itself several years later, but my wife used a somewhat more earthy turn of phrase -- something about pants and cream, but I could have been mistaken...  She was doing her dissertation at the time and may have been a bit stressed...

• Like 2