Veritas jointer plane

rodger.

Well I finally broke down and bought one of these planes. I have been doing more and more handwork lately, and decided to go for it and get a nice jointer plane.

I selected the veritas based upon the quality, price, and availability. The only other real contender for me was the LN, but I could not actually touch it before ir bought it. I have to get a tool in my hands before I buy it, and this was quite easy with lee valley being in my area.

When I went to lee valley to purchase this plane, I opened it before buying it. I noticed a small imperfection (looked like a pit, but I couldn't be sure) in the sole, and the salesperson immediately gave me another plane. I inspected it, and was good to go. I placed a straight edge and square on the plane before buying it. All was well.

I brought it home, cleaned it, put a layer of topcote on it, and sharpened the blade (the new VM steel). i put an 8000 grit micro bevel on the iron. Everything was well fitted and smooth acting. No other real adjustments were necessary.

I lubed up the sole, and took some shavings on a board. Holy crap, is this thing nice to use! i was taking full shavings off of my test piece in three strokes - pure joy.

I also bought the jointer fence to go along with the plane. I found it a little finicky to set up, and i am unsure if I will keep it. I will post a review on the fence after I put it though some paces.

Overall I am very happy with this plane and the new iron. I am impressed with the bevel up design, the quality, and will certainly be adding more veritas bevel up planes to my collection!

post-6372-0-28705400-1371003379_thumb.jppost-6372-0-15566100-1371003449_thumb.jp

Franklin good review, I recently bought the Veritas LA jack and like you am impressed out of the box; it's better than the old Stanley I've been trying to tune with my limited experience. The jointer is now on my list, especially seeing your photos. I look forward to seeing your review on the fence.

I love all the Veritas planes I have; I like that they don't just clone the old Stanleys... they look at the Stanleys and see where improvements can be made and do them.  I don't have any PM-V11 steel yet, although it sounds really nice.

All of my Veritas are low-angle; well, except the scraper plane :)

My credit card is in the house so I can say this aloud: I wish there was a Lee-Valley store in my area ;)

BTW, thanks for taking a decent size shaving; never understood taking 32 transparent-thin shavings to get to your goal; a thick shaving or two followed by some thin finishing passes gets you to the beer fridge faster.

• Like 1

I have this plane, along with a restored #8.  Both are used, when necessary, after a DJ-20.  Since I only use the jointer plane when it's really necessary, I find myself using the Veritas far more often than the old Stanley.

What's really nice about the bevel up version is ease of cutting angle change.  I keep the BU example set up with a 62 degree cutting angle.   The high angle whizzes right across reversing grain, even in figured woods, with ZERO tearout, for absolutely gorgeous match joints. 

If you find it too hard to push, keep a 45 degree setup installed, and the high angle iron sharp and ready to go when needed.

I have never had a situation where it made sense to use a low angle setup on my jointer plane.

I have never had a situation where it made sense to use a low angle setup on my jointer plane.

I meant to say all mine are the bevel-up variety (low bed angle).  Only one has a 37º attack, rest are 45º and 55º.  Stuff looks polished when you're done!