home made bowl lathe plans

duckkisser

Can't be too hard to build if you have a little metal working skills and tools.  Kind of neat how small of a footprint it takes in the shop.  You could mount it to the floor against the wall, facing away from the wall and you'd almost miss it.

Does your school have a metal shop? That would be a big step towards building a lathe. You will need to have pretty good welding and metal work skills and equipment to pull it off.

My grandfather taught me basic machinist skills like layout, drilling and tapping threads but I never learned to weld. Handy skill if you get a chance to learn it.

It looks like a easy project if you have access to the required tools. I built a machine about 10 years ago, more complex than the lathe, I had about 40 hours of construction in it so you might use that as a yard stick to build the lathe. A link to the rolling mill I made follows below.

The review is for a CD rom set of plans but my machine was used as the example. It worked well but I moved on and sold the machine a few years later, I kind of wish I kept it, Oh well, if I need one, I can build another one.

Use the link for your own personal steel rolling mill, that will take you to the review and the pics of the machine I made.

CD-cover_icon.jpg
Your Own Personal Steel Rolling Mill
NEW Plans on CD-ROM for the revolutionary rolling mill for small shops by Hugh McDonald of Western Australia.
Reviewed by Wayne Parris and Jock Dempsey, anvilfire guru

• 2 weeks later...