Plywood...

Llama

Mel, that's an interesting take on the word inferior within this context. I personally find the word inferior brings a negative slant. "Not well suited to hand tool work" might take longer to say but it much clearer and something I would agree with.

I find supermodels inferior. Their legs are just too darn long for me to know what to do with.

Just to challenge you again Mel :) I used my new ln la jack and flushed a lot of my plywood edges that slipped. For example, on the toe kick bases, I went around with the jack plane until i registered dead flat with no twist. Checked with 50" straight edge. I did this top and bottom so the cabinet sat perfectly, and so the mating surface to the carcase was a supreme fit. See that peoples, you can do it, it is possible!

post-3732-0-35509800-1381414632_thumb.jp

Just to challenge you again Mel :) I used my new ln la jack and flushed a lot of my plywood edges that slipped. For example, on the toe kick bases, I went around with the jack plane until i registered dead flat with no twist. Checked with 50" straight edge. I did this top and bottom so the cabinet sat perfectly, and so the mating surface to the carcase was a supreme fit. See that peoples, you can do it, it is possible!

Don't forget to sharpen your blade alot more frequently when attemting this :)

My blades get the royal treatment Mel :) 

Point is anything can be done, with whatever you have to work with in the shop. Was this the best solution, I don't know. But, I decided on this method instead of sitting around thinking of something better and wasting time, and it proved to be 100% successful with no backlash. Cabinets were placed on table saw top with no visible gap to the table surface and no rocking whatsoever. I'd say the hand tool method nailed it.

Just to throw out another perspective.  In Jim Tolpin's New Traditional Woodworker he states that he doesn't use plywood because of the glues and such causing health problems (paraphrasing of course).  What about that aspect of it's use?

Has anybody seen this happen?  Heard about it in other sources?

Just to throw out another perspective.  In Jim Tolpin's New Traditional Woodworker he states that he doesn't use plywood because of the glues and such causing health problems (paraphrasing of course).  What about that aspect of it's use?

Has anybody seen this happen?  Heard about it in other sources?

Formaldehyde is becoming a thing of the past and is highly regulated. Even the imported ply has such low levels It not a real worry.

Don't forget to sharpen your blade alot more frequently when attemting this :)

I agree that glue is harder on blades than wood, but I've handplaned plywood edges more than I ever thought I would, and A2 irons seem to handle it pretty well.  It's not fun, and it's a lot harder to read a shaving, so I agree with your point on why Galoots don't use much plywood, but it's not all that abusive to the tools.

I also joint and thickness plane 1/4" Baltic birch ply for sled and jig runners, using a limited cutting depth, and it hasn't caused huge issues for me.

• Like 1

My comparison was just meant as such. A comparison. We can all agree there are better tools to work sheet goods. Yes, we can all take a shaving or two off plywood, but to build a sideboard with plywood, and only handtools would be a silly way to go about it. Is it possible, yes. Is it silly, yes! :) 

I'm sure I can build a table using only chisels. Would it prove anything? Only that I'm crazy enough to do it! :)

My comparison was just meant as such. A comparison. We can all agree there are better tools to work sheet goods. Yes, we can all take a shaving or two off plywood, but to build a sideboard with plywood, and only handtools would be a silly way to go about it. Is it possible, yes. Is it silly, yes! :)

I'm sure I can build a table using only chisels. Would it prove anything? Only that I'm crazy enough to do it! :)

I can see the next contest now..  Please see me, I'm selling tickets :)

Shhhhhh Mel, I'll split it with you :P

• Like 1