Huge slabs... Where are they?

Llama

I'd want thicker than 2.5" for my bench top, and there's no way in hell I'd pay $650 for a QSWO slab when I could laminate a top with any number of other species for much, much cheaper.  It's a workbench, Mel...get ahold of yourself man! :D   It would be very stable, though, being QS and all...and awesome.  But then you'd have to build the rest of your bench of QSWO...and take out a second mortgage to pay for it all.

• Like 1

do it man, do it. You can build the base out of walnut and it will look sweet! I think your top is about $12 bd ft. Obviously more expensive than rough sawn boards but think of all the glue you will save! At least $5 worth. Plus, once your elbows and shoulders finally give out from all that hand planing you do, you can bring it inside and make it a bar. Or maybe carve a bass body, neck and headstock out of it. :).

Seriously, its your money so do it if it makes you happy. I don't know if 2.5" is thick enough (my "bench" is a banquet table!) but maybe you can glue another board to the bottom to give you some more thickness where you want to drill for dogs and what not?

I really want it to be 4" thick. I'll probably keep looking, but it is tempting. I just love the look of a huge slab of a top on a Roubo style bench.

Honestly don't know if you will be able to find what you are looking for.  The mills I talked to air dry their 2" slabs for at least year before finishing in a kiln.  They'd  need to air dry a 4" thick slab for even longer, and time (and space) is money.  Besides, I am not sure there is really a market for it.  Big hardwood slabs like that mostly go into conference tables in high-end offices or dining tables, and I can't say I've ever seen a table that thick.  You might do better trying to laminate a few 4" timbers together.  You can find those because people use them for timber construction, fireplace mantles, etc. 

Here is an article from Shannon Rogers on the difficulty of drying thick stock. 

http://www.mcilvain.com/tru-dry-radio-frequency-dried-timbers/

I could be wrong, but if it is really 34" wide and all quartesawn you have hit kind of a jackpot. Unless there is a flatsawn strech of oak through the middle, it must have been sawn from one half of the tree.  Take the pith and sapwood out of the equation and the tree must have been 7' in diameter.  Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. 

Woodsap, that was my thinking also only I was thinking bigger than 7'. Pith can "grow" on you with the length of time it takes oak to get big. I was guessing the outer edges are closer to bastard than quarter but still the slab must be milled from 4-6" either side of center from a massive log.

I agree that edges are probably bastard and maybe even some flatsawn at the edge.  I can't say I have ever seen a 7' or even 8' wide oak tree but they must be out there somewhere.  And of course you need to find a mill that can handle such a log.  Here is a link to a photo from the sawmill I usually go to, he indicates a 53" log is the biggest he had ever cut.  I believe the log in the photo is white oak.  He is a small one man shop so not really set up for monster logs, but most of the slabs I see come out of the smaller mom and pop mills. 

http://hickoryandoak.com/gallery/sawmill/bigoak2?full=1

• 10 months later...