Huge slabs... Where are they?

Llama

Scared for the purpose of this discussion:

Concerned about the wasted fuel and time if you drive to six mills and find nothing.

I'd call ahead first. I did some calling a while back with no luck. The point of the post was to see if anyone else had a hard time finding big slabs.

2 things:

First, I'm not sure there's anything wrong with a Walnut bench. The hardness is about in the middle, similar to Cherry. My Roubo is Walnut and Cherry and I wouldn't trade it. A lot of folks believe your bench has to be light colored to reflect the light in your shop. I don't subscribe to that theory. Again, mine is darker colored and not a problem... just some food for thought.

Second, I recently visited a guy who mills lumber for custom mantels. He had a bunch of the slabs you'd be looking for. So, you may want to try searching for solid slab mantels? ... Again, just some food for thought.

I am not sure. I listened to the Nakashima folks and takes a long time to get a slab perfectly stable. I think that the beauty of lamination (displaying the edge grain) gives you much better results over time.

May be this is something our friend Shannon can chime in

At the same time, I love slabs, don't get me wrong.

If dried properly, it should be minimal. I think?

I'll echo both Chet and Bobby...walnut would be fine for a bench if you wanted to pay the extra cash for walnut.  I built mine out of soft maple and it's softer than walnut.  And I would only build my bench top with slabs if I had them laying around or found a steal of a deal on them.  A laminated top is going to be more stable than slabs, that's just a fact.  Whether or not it moves a little or a lot is up to a bunch of variables.  But I think the extra time it takes to laminate your bench top is gained back in the future when you have to flatten it less frequently.

These wouldn't be a solution for your bench because they're "only" 2 1/4" thick (and it certainly wouldn't be cost-effective), but I thought I'd post them anyway since I'm sitting here staring at them at the moment.  Sorry for the crappy phone pic.  Full 8' feet long and DEAD flat.  I so badly want to take two home and build a new dining room table out of them.  Put on a diaper and I'll tell you what they cost. :D

2tc1.jpg

I love this one from the benchcrafted site. Dead sexy contrast!

I am seriously torn between building this bench, or a Roubo. They are both very similar, but very different at the same time. All I know is my bench will be huge. I am planning around 10 feet long and around 24" deep.

The Shaker bench also appeals to be because I love their furniture. I love the idea of having the tool storage right there, but there will be times when a large panel is in the way, and I need to get into the drawer for something. I just know it! Also, with the drawers, holdfasts are an issue.

But of the two, the Shaker bench appeals to me even more than the Roubo. Likely because of the contrast, and I know I can plan around its deficiencies.