Hotley hand planes?

Freddie

Watching Marcs WIA video last night looks like lie nielsen came out with some new tools, they aren't on the site yet, I would imagine they would put the stuff up before christmas though.

There is a new plow plane that will be available next year. You can pre-order it though. I need better pics before I commit :)

Do they offer left handed as well? I was looking at the veritas because they offer left handed and the fence has a really nice curved portion for your hand to rest into it. I have to admit I was totally turned onto this style plane from watching grahams video. As for their new honing guide, they finally addressed that damn 15 dollar jiggy they carried. I personally couldn't be bothered with it anymore, and purchased the veritas mkII. 

The LV plow is arguably one of the best products Veritas has ever made.  I'm not saying not to wait for the LN if that's what one wants, but if you want a plow, have the cash, and don't wanna wait, do not hesitate to get the LV.  It is absolute perfection. 

Do they offer left handed as well? I was looking at the veritas because they offer left handed and the fence has a really nice curved portion for your hand to rest into it. I have to admit I was totally turned onto this style plane from watching grahams video. As for their new honing guide, they finally addressed that damn 15 dollar jiggy they carried. I personally couldn't be bothered with it anymore, and purchased the veritas mkII. 

Freddie, I'm delighted to of turned you on  :)! On bronze for larger planes I'm assuming weight and cost are big factors. I think Derek Cohen is the man to ask though. Browsing his site reveals so much good stuff.

Chris the Veritas rebate and plow are a personal favorite, I'm not drawn to Veritas in general (for no reason really as I know them to be incredible tools) but these two are really nice. I just struggle with handing over that much cash for a plane.

Graham, I have no problem forking over the cash for these tools anymore! :) Not too long ago, I looked at them and said damn thats so expensive. Now, the only reason I don't have more is because I am allowing my practical side to make me slow down on purchases. I have more and more work coming in the shop, so I can space out needs and wants where they dont really hit me too hard. After using lie nielsen tools, I no longer feel they are expensive, I feel they are worth every penny I pay for them. Unlike all my recent power tool purchases from companies like grizzly, I never had to open a lie nielsen box and call customer service due to an issue or missing part. They really are a stellar company. That being said, I have also chosen some veritas tools over ones lie nielsen also carries. I guess to some extent I have partially outgrown the brand loyalty bug. But one thing I will remain loyal to, quality over crap!

Freddie, I hope my response was not read as "don't spend the money", I can agree with every point you make, buying high quality tools is what was done back in the day. An old guy who I used to work with would tell me of spending the best part of a weeks wages on a handsaw. And because he invested so heavily in tools they were respected and treated accordingly.

It was just that I can't do it yet. I have experimented with some really cheap tat with mixed results (mixed results mainly on the new stuff), I bought a new #7 that was junk for instance and I sent it back. I'm personally drawn to well priced quality vintage stuff and digging out new low cost gems when they can be found. For me this is all part of the fun. I would use my wooden plane experience as an example. I really like my cheap heavily used wooden jack bought for £1.00 more than I thought I would. It may not have a quality brand logo or be made from the latest material but the providence of a well used tool shows me how well it worked.

Want a plow plane? Want it now? Want it cheap? Get the Stanley #45. Sure, it does lots of good things. It takes a full ten minutes to figure out how it works. I'd have to say that one tool one of my best purchases so far. I think mine was around $145, and it has everything a guy could ask for in a plow. Having said all of that, I'd love to see the new LN plow. ruhehupu.jpgedugure5.jpg

Record really did copy just about every aspect. Even the screwdriver is the same! And remember Mel, we own the versatile Multi-plane, we can make mouldings while those plebs and their plows can only make grooves :lol:

It does a lot of things! I really love this plane. I got a little lucky finding one in such good shape! It even had a drawing about something the guy was making the last time it was boxed up. :)

Nope.  But using it makes me feel like I'm cool!

As for moldings, one of these days I'll get around to making some molding planes. Until then, they get done on my router table.

In all honesty, I'm actually not a fan of multiplanes for the same reason I'm not a fan of tailed routers. I hate changing over settings.  While I can cut tongues with my plow using the wide blade adaptor, even that (which is really an easy switchover), gets on my nerves. As easy as it is I still may invest in a Stanley or LN 49 one day just because like having a tool I can just pic up and use....hence my desire to build a set of molding planes which will put the final nail in my router tables coffin.

I know plenty of folks who love there 45s and 55s...but they don't interest me.  If I didn't have my LV I would likely own a Record 43 or 44.

• Like 1

Watching Marcs WIA video last night looks like lie nielsen came out with some new tools, they aren't on the site yet, I would imagine they would put the stuff up before christmas though. 

I thought these shots were great (from LNs FB page).

Vic from LV trying out the LN plow plane: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151697574448016&set=pb.100708343015.-2207520000.1382829007.&type=3&theater

And Rob Lee giving the thumbs up to LNs honing guide: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151697574458016&set=pb.100708343015.-2207520000.1382829864.&type=3&theater

I've met Karl at one of the woodworking shows here in the UK. Just for the record, the correct pronunciation of his name isn't Holtey, but Holttie, as in the item of clothing you wear with a decent suit.  Also for the record, his planes are considered to be the absolute pinnacle of the planemaker's art…Rob Lee, of Veritas has loads of Karl's creations.  I've used a few over the years...

WoodBlokeSMALL_zps8b37fd04.jpg

…this one being a low angle No92 belonging to David Charlesworth.  They're truly exquisite things to use and hold, but in terms of performance, they're not much better, if at all, than a decent, well set up LN or LV plane.  But then why drive a Rolls Royce Phantom to get from A to B when a Citroen 2CV will do the same job?