L fence.

mds2

It showed uses like, rabbeting, tenoning, jointing, cutting out patterns with straight sides (I found that part very interesting).  It also showed some ways to cut miters.  I haven't used it yet.  I plan on trying some things out tomorrow.

I keep one hanging above the saw.   In fact, I learned to use one on the exact same pair of saws shown in the article...   ;)

Bob covered the uses pretty well.  Most of the times you'd use one are to prevent waste stock from being trapped between the blade and fence, like lopping off tenon cheeks, or cutting large rabbets in two passes with a single blade.  It saves a bunch of time to cut the tenon cheeks vertically, then use the L fence

Adding a flat area to a curved or oddly shaped part is another fantastic use.  Simply attach a carrier rail or a pair of nails to ride the fence.

So, it turns the table saw into a flush cutting router that can only move in straight lines.  What else can it do?

There's a great article in the current FWW Tools and Shops, but in short, it works:

- As a standoff, anytime an offcut could be trapped between the fence and blade.  For example, cutting tenon cheek or wide rabbet waste free, after making the vertical cut.

- As a surface to run a carrier board, or even two nails, against, creating a straight edge on a board without the parallel edge required by a normal fence.  This is great for joinery on curved parts.

- Repeatable flush cuts on panels without parallel sides.

The advantage over flush cutting straight lines with a saw over a router is speed and quality.  The router requires either rough cutting to approximate size, or many passes, as well as minding the grain.  The saw does it in one pass, regardless of the amount of waste coming off, and won't destroy parts or kick back by catching rising grain. 

A really sweet way to make some of these odd, but straight sided, parts is to set the L fence to cut 1/32" proud of the pattern.  Take the part to the router table, with the pattern still attached, and climb cut the final thirty-second at the router table.

As with most techniques, this is not the only way to do something, but is a great arrow in the quiver that requires very little to acquire.

• Like 1