Archiving My Woodworking Magazines

dinkjs

So a couple days ago I decide to archive or catelog my woodworking magazine collection. I am using Bento on my Macbook....I do love this program...very easy to use. The reason I am catelloging my magazines is because I am tired of going through every single issue till I find the one thing or article I am looking for. Doing what I am doing is going to make things alot faster and easier. I highly recommend people do this themselves if they haven't already.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what a great post to jump in as my first post! I have a zillion woodworking mags and I do the same thing. Look through them looking for that one plan or one tip that I swear I just saw. I don't have a Mac, so are there any other options out there designed to help with this? Bento looked like a lot more robust than just organizing magazines.

thanks!

Wow, what a great post to jump in as my first post! I have a zillion woodworking mags and I do the same thing. Look through them looking for that one plan or one tip that I swear I just saw. I don't have a Mac, so are there any other options out there designed to help with this? Bento looked like a lot more robust than just organizing magazines.

thanks!

You could just do Excel as a very basic option....I bet there are plenty of programs to buy that would allow you to archive....I bet there is something at like a Best Buy you could buy easily

I rarely need the entire magazine so I scan and archive articles of interest on my computer as PDFs. I use a descriptive file name so it is easy to find. And I use a Mac and use a program call Yep to give my PDFs the same cataloging ability as iPhoto. I can also use Spotlight to search or use preview mode on finder to flip through the contents. Also, the space bar on the Mac to pop up a preview without opening an application is very handy.

I subscribe to FineWoodworking web site, I go to the web site when I find an article I need to download the PDF directly from there. Other mags I just scan.

I rarely need the entire magazine so I scan and archive articles of interest on my computer as PDFs. I use a descriptive file name so it is easy to find. And I use a Mac and use a program call Yep to give my PDFs the same cataloging ability as iPhoto. I can also use Spotlight to search or use preview mode on finder to flip through the contents. Also, the space bar on the Mac to pop up a preview without opening an application is very handy.

I subscribe to FineWoodworking web site, I go to the web site when I find an article I need to download the PDF directly from there. Other mags I just scan.

I've never used Bento except to play with a free trail download. I suppose you could embed the PDF directly in the database so now you can include a lot of metadata to use to find articles -- I'll have to look into that!

I've never used Bento except to play with a free trail download. I suppose you could embed the PDF directly in the database so now you can include a lot of metadata to use to find articles -- I'll have to look into that!

I don't know about Bento in particular, but I would suggest linking the PDF files you create rather than imbedding them. I've created a few database apps that use scanned images and I've found that linking them is the way to go.

Just an idea, but it may make sense to do them in a format that can be shared. If everyone were to do a few of their magazines, the it would be quite nice to have a complete list of woodworking magazines where each person could select the ones they had.

I guess I'm thinking a website where everyone could contribute to a general database. Naturally, that's a whole lot more work to set a website up, but it's just a thought. (Just an index, not the actual PDF's)