Finish for Barnwood Furniture

toddpeavy

Hello Everyone,

I've been using the internet ever since Al Gore invented it but this is the first time I've ever posted on this type of forum, so I hope this goes right.

I am in the process of dismantling a 112 year old barn that I plan to transform into the furniture in a new house. I am wondering if any of you have any words of wisdom and/or caution on what to use as a finish/finishing techniques, so that I can keep the "patina" (sp?). Also, any thoughts on the best way to clean and prepare the wood for use. Thanks, Todd

Work the surfaces as little as possible.

The silvery color that wood develops outdoors runs only skin deep. Once you machine the surface, you'll expose fresh wood. What precisely do you want to build with this stuff?

I'll use mainly the heavy timbers and dimensional lumber to build bedroom furniture, dining room, a couple of sideboards and all the accessary tables. The color is more honey colored than the silvery outside siding.

Todd..plane a little and see what you have. I bought quite a bit of a 100 plus year old barn and the wood is some magnificent old growth (dense, heavy) red fir. I'm going to use some for my bench, but the rest will be for some nice furniture. But, then again, I'm not a fan of the weathered look.

Hello Everyone,

I've been using the internet ever since Al Gore invented it but this is the first time I've ever posted on this type of forum, so I hope this goes right.

I am in the process of dismantling a 112 year old barn that I plan to transform into the furniture in a new house. I am wondering if any of you have any words of wisdom and/or caution on what to use as a finish/finishing techniques, so that I can keep the "patina" (sp?). Also, any thoughts on the best way to clean and prepare the wood for use. Thanks, Todd

We used old barn lumber that had been kilned for ceilings in our dining room and my husband's "man cave". Our wood still had some color stains from the red paint. All I can tell you is that a year later, that wood has termintes, and the rest of the wood all around those ceilings does not have termites. just a caution, be sure to treat that wood.

your project sounds wonderful. I love the look and the feel of that old wood. it's perfect to anchor any room to the great outdoors.

We used old barn lumber that had been kilned for ceilings in our dining room and my husband's "man cave". Our wood still had some color stains from the red paint. All I can tell you is that a year later, that wood has termintes, and the rest of the wood all around those ceilings does not have termites. just a caution, be sure to treat that wood.

your project sounds wonderful. I love the look and the feel of that old wood. it's perfect to anchor any room to the great outdoors.

Wow I wouldn't have thought about the termites. Thanks

Yup to the bugs...I'm surprised that a kiln didn't take care of the bugs, from what I hear, that should kill any insects in the wood.

What do you think about bleach water and a broom or power washer to remove years of dirt and mold?

-Ace-

Bleach is good if you have moldy wood. Amonia is better for dirt and grime - and I recommend the lemon scented. Be sure not to mix bleach and amonia.