I need a finish as tough as nails

daninhim

I'm in the process of refinishing the bay window in my dining room. The "bench" window sill needs to be sanded down and re-stained. But here's my conundrum. I've got a dog that loves to jump on the sill to look out the window excitedly when her family arrives home. Short of putting a layer of Pergo on the sill or installing an invisible fence around the window,Is there a finish out there that's strong enough to withstand the scratching of dog toenails?

post-615-072054000 1286724156_thumb.jpg

Mike, I have a buddy that uses a straight oil on his quartersawn oak floors. He has a very exuberant golden retriever and it doesn't show scratches.

My impression is that if he had an actually hard finish, her nails would scratch the finish. But, because it's a very dense wood and he just wipes more on every year or so, his floors do fine under her nails.

• Like 1

Well, actually a Golden Retriever is more of a field dog than waterbourne. For the waterbourne you'd have to go for more of a Labrador or a Chessie... ;)

Actually, I don't know what would be hard enough to contend with a dog's claws... Epoxy?

I had a dog who's jaw was at just about jaw height to the window. She chewed about 1/4 inch off in anticipation of emancipation, but it was cheap pine. I planed it off and refinished. She outgrew the habit.

Well, I used to have not one, but two Saint Bernards, so I know a little bit about dogs' nails and scratching.

The epoxy finish will hold up to the nails. Behlen's Bar Finish may hold up.

What I noticed was that I had more problems with the wood denting than the finish scratching. I went with Spar Varnish, because it was flexible enough to bend when the wood did!

Of course, that's with 180 pound dogs. Your dog seems a little bit smaller than that, so perhaps the finish will give before the wood does. There is always this:pPETS-5480345dt.jpg :-)

Every time I see that PediPaws thing, I just can't help but think my Rigid Random Orbital Sander would do the same thing WITH dust collection!

Hmm..the bar finish...interesting. And, I bet it would be quite a show watching Daisy leap on to the window sill only to slide across the room like a frosty mug at Cheers.

I agree that a tough but really smoooooth and waxed finish would solve the problem; she'd give up on the ledge in no time. My parents' dog hates my stairs since I removed the carpet and put in cork long ago... they hate slick floors!

Or maybe put some silica powder in the finish so it's a very fine sandpaper. Daisy will love the grip and it will keep her nails trimmed.

Well, I used to have not one, but two Saint Bernards, so I know a little bit about dogs' nails and scratching.

The epoxy finish will hold up to the nails. Behlen's Bar Finish may hold up.

What I noticed was that I had more problems with the wood denting than the finish scratching. I went with Spar Varnish, because it was flexible enough to bend when the wood did!

Of course, that's with 180 pound dogs. Your dog seems a little bit smaller than that, so perhaps the finish will give before the wood does. There is always this:pPETS-5480345dt.jpg :-)

The Pedi-Paws is crap... I have yet to see a dog that isn't freaked out by the noise. =)

• 4 weeks later...

LOL Yes, that company makes them in all colors, so you can color coordinate for holidays, pet outfits, etc. . My local Petco carries a different brand in clear only for cats. Since I don't have a dog at this time, I haven't checked to see if Petco usually carries the nail caps for dogs.

I swear by these. Cats will be cats, and this prevents any kind of damage. Threatening my cat with a trip back to the humane society, which is where she came from - didn't stop her from scratching the area rugs, but nail caps have. These little nail caps have brought peace back into the family. I highly recommend them.

Simply put - artificial nails for cats and dogs. :D

SQ

To be honest Mike, I doubt ANY finish you apply will be tough enough to withstand the abuse of an excited dog. And here's the rub: the finishes that have the best chance of resisting wear, will also be the most difficult finishes to repair (poly/epoxy/etc....). So, much like a workbench in our shops, this is a surface that you EXPECT severe abuse. So like Vic mentioned, a straight oil or maybe a Danish OIl (contains a little varnish), would be the best choice. This way, if and WHEN the damage is bad enough, you can always sand the surface lightly and refresh the finish without having to do a full refinishing job.

And here's what I use for my dog's nails. :)

dewalt-7in.-angle-grinder-model-dw840.jpg