LN Plough

G S Haydon

I'll race ya! :D

You'll win!

When I want a piece of furniture fast I just go to IKEA.  That's even faster :) .

If I was working for money on production I would likely use a router that had and excellent dust collection system and keep it permanently setup for 1/4 grooves.

Honestly though, most the time you loose in hand tool woodworking isn't from things like joinery planes, which are actually not that much slower, if at all slower, in a shop where you are setting up a router each time for just a handful of cuts on one off pieces. Stock prep is where most the time is lost.  A jointer and thickness planer would save me a good bit of time. Whereas, its rare that I feel like much if anytime would be saved by me breaking out my router..that is of course in the context of my shop though where space is limited, dust collection is poor, where a router is not left setup for a dedicated purpose, and where I'm typically only cutting a handful of grooves at any given time.

• Like 1

You'll win!

When I want a piece of furniture fast I just go to IKEA.  That's even faster :) .

If I was working for money on production I would likely use a router that had and excellent dust collection system and keep it permanently setup for 1/4 grooves.

Honestly though, most the time you loose in hand tool woodworking isn't from things like joinery planes, which are actually not that much slower, if at all slower, in a shop where you are setting up a router each time for just a handful of cuts on one off pieces. Stock prep is where most the time is lost.  A jointer and thickness planer would save me a good bit of time. Whereas, its rare that I feel like much if anytime would be saved by me breaking out my router..that is of course in the context of my shop though where space is limited, dust collection is poor, where a router is not left setup for a dedicated purpose, and where I'm typically only cutting a handful of grooves at any given time.

You gotta adjust the depth on a router plane, too. :)

1. I thought this was the hand tool forum...

2. I wonder if they are going to end up making a 45ish plane - the only real difference is the second skate - Id love to have access to new blades - it would be great. (the 55 is a bit more complicated I have one but rehabbing it is on the back burner.)

3. If youve got the money for a new one get a piece of history-  http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TYPE-1-STANLEY-No-141-PLOW-PLANE-FILLETSTER-BED-CUTTERS-ORIGINAL-BOX-/131053361487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8363994f

Nah, it's hybrid bro :-). The hand tool link was to snare you into the trap of power tools :D.

Wow, that's a bit too much for a user, collectors only!?

Not sure if LN will go for the moulding options. As Tom King has mentioned they are not so great for moulding, I think moulding planes will trump it any day of the week. Clifton do/did make a "Record 405" copy which was a close copy of a "Stanley 45" (see what they did there), not sure it's a big seller. The blades from Record and Clifton should work in a 45.

Record in action

http://youtu.be/37kJGzvzYDg

• Like 1

Yeah Ive got a vintage 405 and its identical to the Stanley 45 - like exact - the 45/405 cant do any complex moulding - its limit to simple bead and cove. There is a woodwright episode from this year comparing the 45/ and 55 to wooden planes. 

The planes arent hard to find on Ebay - its the blades and they can get pricey- 

Yeah Ive got a vintage 405 and its identical to the Stanley 45 - like exact - the 45/405 cant do any complex moulding - its limit to simple bead and cove. There is a woodwright episode from this year comparing the 45/ and 55 to wooden planes. 

The planes arent hard to find on Ebay - its the blades and they can get pricey- 

It's actually not limited if you can find the hollow and round cutters and other fitments that go with....but they are tough to find.

It's actually not limited if you can find the hollow and round cutters and other fitments that go with....but they are tough to find.

Yeah, I will second Mel on that. Saw a set of Based for my record 405 and my jaw hit the deck! Vintage wooden moulding planes still offer the best value at this time (in the uk at any rate).