LN Plough

G S Haydon

I believe thats my photo up there Graham :) It left much to be desired honestly. This is the prototype and is scheduled for release in about a month. Will be outfitted with a different handle, as this one is held with a pin and flimsy. If I ever jump on the plow wagon I'll be picking up the veritas. 

I doubt any plow plane works much better than another one. One of my 55s does just fine, as I'm sure Mel's 45 does.

http://www.historic-house-restoration.com/images/novdec2012_012.JPG

Yes Tom. My #45 is brilliant. I love it. I'd buy three more if I didn't have other things on my list right now. Actually a #55 is on my short list. Primarily for moulding.

The 55 is last effort for some profile on molding.  That cutter just hanging out in the air needs an ideal piece of wood even after all the fiddling with getting it set up.  It's much easier to get there with hollows, rounds, snipe bill, and half rounds.

It's about as much fun throwing shavings in the air with a plow plane as it is with a scrub plane.

• Like 1

It's about as much fun throwing shavings in the air with a plow plane as it is with a scrub plane.

I actually had to use my scrub plane the other day. I was working a piece of maple for my bench, and one end was too bowed to get through my TS safely. While it was not fun, it was the scrub was the right tool for the job!

I know we exchanged a few posts about molding planes before, and I have a couple, but I don't have what I need to really get there with it. As much as I say I have a list, getting some proper planes for molding is becoming a priority. After I'm done with my bench, I'll get on it.

My Record 044C is very similar in results but like most of these has a very steep learning curve to use properly. Once mastered though they are superb.

Mine stays on the shelf with my Stanley #50 (that looks like it's brand new even though it's from about 1958 - I wonder why??)!

Some people call them boat anchors.

The Lie Nielsen version is also called the no.43

Yes, also called the Millers patent plow.  http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan5.htm

I like some power tools (I heart my bandsaw) but routers are not one of them. HATE routers.  Hate them enough that I spent hundreds of dollars on LV joinery planes and will soon spend a good deal of cash and time making some molding planes. Moldings are the one thing that I still use my router for...can't wait not to need it anymore.  I think avoiding using a router was one of my main motivations for getting into hand tool work.

• Like 1

Yeah they're noisy alright...pretty sure that's the exact reason they invented earmuffs. :D   But I think they do a fine job on grooves as long as you have a sharp down-spiral.

How do you do stopped grooves with that knuckle-scraper? :)

For me, I revise the design so I don’t have to make a stopped groove. Solved.  ^_^

• Like 2

My first multi-plane was an 044C.  It's one of the few tools I've bought that I wished was back where it came from.  The depth stop uses a plastic tube in a metal hole that is expanded with a metal screw to limit the depth stop.  I could never get it to stay accurate.  The only thing I use from the 044C setup, that I bought new in the '70s, now are the cutters.  The Record cutters stay sharp way longer than the old Stanley 45/55 cutters, and fit perfectly in my 55s.

I'll use a router if we have a lot of something to make, but if it's a one-off piece that just a few feet, like a piece of furniture, or a missing old one, I'll use hand planes.  The piece that the plow plane is grooving in the picture I linked to in this thread was to replace a piece in a wainscot frame that was rotten.

I actually do enjoy throwing shavings in the air with a plow plane or a scrub plane.  You can see the shavings in the air in my picture with the plow plane.

• Like 2