Sapwood isn't a bug. It's a feature.

TheFatBaron

Sometimes, at least. These pieces of walnut are the lintels for a small Japanese gate (torii) I'm building. It'll be indoors, so I'm not worried about damage from insects or the elements. 

post-6112-0-03718900-1389801594_thumb.jp

Anyway, I was listening to the latest WTO, and thinking that, while i wouldn't want an all-sapwood board, it can occasionally be useful.

Totally agree also ..... If I have a top with a couple of boards and one of them has the white streak, if I have enough timber I might change it depending on who it's for but otherwise it's going right in the middle !! .... And I feel the same about other defects such as large knots and even some cracks .

Totally agree.  when I started woodworking people would warn me of the dangers of sapwood, as if it would cause my project to self combust.  Personally I like it. 

Boat builders are always freaking out about sapwood, as if it will dissolve the minute the boat hits the water.

• Like 1

I have to agree, sometimes sapwood can add a little something.

I made two end grain cutting boards for the kids for Christmas. Without even noticing it, I had sapwood in the walnut board. It went completely unnoticed by me until I wiped it down with mineral spirits looking for errors. After finishing with mineral oil, it popped even more and added a bit of interest to the boards in my opinion.

Even a blind dog finds a bone every once in a while. :) 

Christmascuttingboards001_zps726696be.jp

Rog

The comment on WTO was mine, and it's about a cabinet I'm building. I ended up with a lot of sapwood in some boards that looked to be great, dark walnut stock in their rough state. I picked through the stack for a while to choose those particular boards as well.

Anyways, I used some of the material to create an effect with the face frame, and matched the stiles ( cut from one piece), as well as the rails (same board, another section). Still not super happy with the stock, but the combination turned out nice. The sap wood blends into the heartwood, but my original idea was to have a nice, dark, cabinet.

In the past I have had great dark walnut. Do a search for my countertop build, and you'll see the awesome dark boards I got, in 14 foot lengths too!

I'll see what I can do with the drawers and doors to darken it up as a whole, or maybe I'll continue with the "blended theme". It just depends on what the next board holds.

Forgive the crappy quality photo, it was rather dark and all I had was my iPad.

post-6372-0-99553800-1389837789_thumb.jp