Need advice, what to do with two jointer planes?

Calix

Hello everybody!

All of a sudden I have a great chance to buy the highly recommended Lee Valley low angle jointer plane. I already have a Record jointer plane and now I don't really feel the need to keep it, so I am thinking about selling it despite the money spent on a blade upgrade and all the time I've invested in the tune up, but I have to admit it, it was educational. But, just in case, I was also planning on keeping the Record plane with a jointer fence just for edge trimming.

Do anybody have two similar tools and really find it useful to have both?

Hey Calix, it really depends on what you have and what you do. If you hand thickness any lumber, you can camber your Record iron and have a nice long try plane. You can have it tuned that way to take a heavy shaving when adjusting a board to width also. In this way you are just refining the tool for a modified special purpose instead of leaving the tools set up for the same task. This one reason I would consider keeping the Record.

I use a 7 with a cambered blade for flattening, and an 8 with a square iron for edges.  Which Record do you have?  I've been looking for an 8C.

Hello Mr. King.

I have a No. 7 Record I bought 4 years ago, I have done some research and I found out the quality of my plane is not as good as the older Record planes. I will try to post some pics later.

Hey Calix, it really depends on what you have and what you do. If you hand thickness any lumber, you can camber your Record iron and have a nice long try plane. You can have it tuned that way to take a heavy shaving when adjusting a board to width also. In this way you are just refining the tool for a modified special purpose instead of leaving the tools set up for the same task. This one reason I would consider keeping the Record.

Hello!

Actually, I do a lot of hand planing, so I also have a scrub plane. I have to give it a try, of course the jointer is heavier but I bet it would be a lot faster than the scrub plane with long and wide boards. That would be a good reason to keep the Record.

Thanks!

I would have one with a cambered blade, and one with a square blade. Use the cambered blade joiner for flattening, and the square edge one for edge jointing.

Hello Franklin!

Never thought of this before but a jointer hand plane with a heavy cambered iron will take some serious heavy shavings. In fact I will use the old and rusted blade for this porpouse. I will write about the results. Maybe this will team up with my scrub plane for faster work... Until I can afford a Felder power jointer-planer. :rolleyes:

You don't want a heavy cut with a 7 for flattening.  I have my 7 iron cambered so it takes a wide shaving no more than a couple of thousandths and doesn't leave tracks.  It's preceded by a 5, and a couple of 6s that take progressively smaller cuts.  The 5 hogs wood off pretty fast.  Irons are cambered so they don't leave tracks that are hard to get out any kind of way regardless of how shallow they are.  We just use a scrub plane for scrubbing dirty beams and boards.

All right, bad idea to use a Jointer handplane for a heavy cut. Anyway, I was checking the information about the LV BU handplane and I believe it can't be used with a shooting board. I think I found a very good reason to keep my number 7 handplane.

Thanks for all the advice and information!

Unless it's a rabbeting plane you can use it for a shooting board, but if your Record weighs more which helps it plow through the stock. If I were you on your #7 I would put a hotdog (an added handle to make it easier to use your plane) and see if you like it as a dedicated shooting board plane before you think of parting with it.