What do you do when you stay up late after the wife/gf husband/bf goes to bed?

Freddie

Play my bass

Sounds fishy.  :)

That's when I get some shop time - either clean up, maintenance/organization, or try to get in some small tasks on whatever project I have going on.  Lately it's been practicing dovetails and trying out a new BS jig for cutting d/t's.  If it's not shop time, then that's when I get in some reading - blogs, podcasts, news, etc.

• Like 1

I always have big plans.  Watch a movie (I don't think I have watched a movie from beginning to end in one sitting in at least 4 years), work on my latest woodworking project, do work work for my real job, meet up with the boys for some cocktails.... but generally I just eat junk food and fall asleep within 30 minutes, usually with a cheeto or cookie still in my mouth. 

Lately, it's been catching up on the forum on the iPad while my wife and dog have a snoring contest... Shortly followed by Netflix / couch tuner.

Tonight I actually got around to mounting the dust collection plate on my table saw after living with the mess and dust for the last 6 months.

Got to admit I'm starting to suffer burnout.... I've been going to school for five straight semesters, the last four of which have been full time hours.  In addition, I've been the editor for the school newspaper (for one campus; there are four that are part of the paper and three more mini-campuses).  I'm also working part time, a parent of two teenagers, and trying to start two careers in wood working.  (one making, one blogging.)

So when the wife says "i'm going to bed," that's my cue that I should be doing the same thing.  half the time I instruct the kids to put out the lights and turn off the hamster.  The other half, I'm doing homework by laptop light... (don't recommend it, by the way.)

When summer gets here, I'm partially tempted to take the first week after school ends off and just spend it in bed... but then I'll experience that self loathing that comes knowing there are all those hours I'm leaving alone that I could be making sawdust in.