Cedar beetle infestation?

brady

Long time reader, first time poster  :P

I recently bought some cedar fencing lumber to fix some sections of my fence. I ended with two leftover 2x4s so I decided to do a 2x4 challenge with them. I cut and milled some of the parts last night and when I came back to the shop today I noticed a small (1/8" long) black beetle crawling across some of the cedar on my workbench. On closer inspection I noticed a couple of misshapen holes on some of the surfaces that appeared to be filled with wood dust. I scraped out some of the dust with a knife and placed the beetle next to it and took the attached photos. I inspected the rest of the pieces and didn't notice any small round holes, or any other beetles or larvae.

Any ideas what it might be? Do I need to burn it all?

Thanks for the help.

post-15688-0-39939000-1401734941_thumb.j

post-15688-0-81139700-1401734943_thumb.j

Thankfully I didn't use any other 2x4s to patch the fence. I bought them just in case I needed them with the intent of returning them, but of course I lost the receipt. So I was going to make a little corner table for a plant. I'm thinking of just burning it if there's any doubt about what it might be.

I think you might be over reacting a little bit.  If the two are related and you've only found 1 beetle it's nothing some good pesticide can't resolve.

That's good to know. I wasn't quite sure how serious these small problems can become. Thanks for the re-assurance.