Sapele Dresser

Cannikin

My wife and I are having our first baby in a little less than a week and, being a woodworker, figured it was my duty to build something for him. I found a nice dresser in the Dec 2008 issue of Wood Magazine - a six drawer tall dresser. We wanted it to double as a changing table so I modified the design in Sketchup to work as a side-by-side.

The top, sides, drawer fronts are Sapele. The drawer sides/backs are Douglas Fir (300 years old!) and Poplar for the drawer dividers. The drawers are NK style so they only ride on a small runner at each outside corner. I got lucky enough to get all the drawer fronts out of one huge 12' board of quartersawn Sapele!

For the finish I've got five coats of a tung oil/boiled linseed oil/varnish mix and then a buff of Feed 'n' Weed. I was thinking of maybe a coat of paste wax for the top in case of any changing accidents. :)

5087094052_700ffa4634.jpg

5087094130_65176a55fd.jpg

5087094438_1c416d10cd.jpg

5087094324_831aed960a.jpg

5087094526_984b9e7f13.jpg

Here's a quick video walkthrough:

And a series of photos of the whole construction here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannikin/sets/72157624653668266

Final joinery tally: 16 dados, 8 mortise and tenons, 24 dovetails.

Thanks for the photo gallery of the build. Very nice indeed. So what finish did you choose to resist nappy changing accidents? :o

Thanks! I updated the original post to include the finish: Five coats of a tung oil/boiled linseed oil/varnish mix and then a buff of Feed 'n' Weed. I was thinking of maybe a coat of paste wax for the top in case of any changing accidents. :)

Cannikin, that is first rate work! Instant heirloom. Abit of advice being this will be your first, you may want to put a "thicker" top coat. I know that flies in the face of such beautiful work to put plastic over the top, but put poly on it! You are having a baby. It's not unlike raising a small animal. They will make messes, they will chew on things :blink: and if your work misses those abuses, surely the top will receive some damage from baby paraphernalia such as bottles of baby oil, ointments, etc... DAMHIKT :lol: Congrats on your family to be, best of luck and again great work :D

• 1 month later...