#7 Stanley Jointer

JoshC1501

I agree. I've paid about £70 for the same type of plane. Shipping excluded of course. Actually, since it's your money, and given that it is a real vintage model, (tear drop lever cap, small wheel cutter adjuster, excellent condition, etc) I 'd even spend $150. If it turns out to be an inflatable replica, don't sue me! :ph34r:

John

...given that it is a real vintage model, (tear drop lever cap, small wheel cutter adjuster, excellent condition, etc) I 'd even spend $150. 

John

I've only seen "tear drop" lever cap...or at least I think so.

John, would you mind pointing me to some pictures of different lever caps? Also, how can you tell that's a small wheel cutter adjustment knob?

thx,

Chris

The most expensive 7 I've bought in the past couple of years is a new old stock, still in the plastic bag in the box, never touched wood, or probably a hand, Record 7C (the kind with the old Stanley type lever cap like that one-not the thumb wheel one).  I paid 135 for it because I like Records the best.  I sold the Stanley that I bought for 75, tuned up, and it looked a lot like the one in that picture for a hundred bucks.  I don't really care, or pay attention, to what model number they are.  I just want good users.

Chris. you want pictures? Well I'll try. First the lever cap - 'cause that's the easy one. Patrick explains it all: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm (about 1/3 down the page) the kidney shape - replacing the tear drop - entered the scene in the 1930's. Of course someone could have swapped the lever cap, but it's generally considered an important age indicator.

The depth adjuster wheel. AH, well, yes. Uhm. Actually, when the Sweet Heart models came into being in the 1920's the wheel nut 'grew'. See https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/typing/typing.htm half way down the page.

So I'd say around the turn of the 20th century. Be nice to see the sole of the plane though. Nah, forget that. It's on a work bench (not someone's sofa), there are shavings (not cat hairs). Graham is right. But who is this Graham I ask. Where has One Eyed Willy gone these days? Am I getting old or confused, or both?

John

Chris. you want pictures? Well I'll try. First the lever cap - 'cause that's the easy one. Patrick explains it all: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm (about 1/3 down the page) the kidney shape - replacing the tear drop - entered the scene in the 1930's. Of course someone could have swapped the lever cap, but it's generally considered an important age indicator.

The depth adjuster wheel. AH, well, yes. Uhm. Actually, when the Sweet Heart models came into being in the 1920's the wheel nut 'grew'. See https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes101/typing/typing.htm half way down the page.

So I'd say around the turn of the 20th century. Be nice to see the sole of the plane though. Nah, forget that. It's on a work bench (not someone's sofa), there are shavings (not cat hairs). Graham is right. But who is this Graham I ask. Where has One Eyed Willy gone these days? Am I getting old or confused, or both?

John

Wow...after all the plane material I have digested over the last two weeks, I completed missed the kidney shaped hole. I think George Steinbrenner on Seinfeld said it best...

Blown away John...blown away.