Table pedestal

Thanx All , So IF a single pedestal was used , what would be the safe span of the tips of the legs ? Or is this table just needing two pedestals ?   Also she had asked this regarding finish  (the top had a catalyzed finish, which from my perspective made it quite scratch resistant.)  Is this an epoxy type finish ?

I own a pedestal dining table that is a shade over 72" with the leaf installed. The footspan is less than 40". Of course, with leaf out and the table in 'round' mode, the top diameter is only 50". This table has never seemed unstable to me in any configuration. Bear in mind that the column is a turned 'barrel' of glued up staves, roughly 12" in diameter. Trying to use a solid piece of smaller diameter would be asking for trouble, in my opinion.

A few years ago Jerry Work built an eight foot diameter conference table for a business in Nevada.  He used Maple burl log sections for the base.  It can be seen on his web site  http://www.jerrywork.com  Click on Portfolio - it is the second item down.

I live a few miles from his studio - it is a very impressive piece.