Mortise and Tenion Jig

ronnie

Right now I am in the middle of building four dinning chairs. I have a craftsman mortiser jig that you can place your wood underneath and clamp it in and float your router on top of. My question is, is there a more easier way to get the work done?

I have seen jig's that ride in the slot on your table saw but they look real complicated. Plus on top of that I have a low end table saw.. I'm not sure If that kind of jig would work on my table saw to make the tenions.

what can I do to help me get the work done in a low cost and more efficient way.

I have done this kind of work before but it is very tedious work if you know what I mean. Not to be gripping Just wandered if there is a better way to get the work done thats all.... :huh::huh:

Thanks.............................................

I have a cheap delta contractors saw, and this jig works on my saw. http://grizzly.com/products/H7583

What saw do you have? Maybe someone will be able to tell you what jig (if any) will work.

Right now I am in the middle of building four dinning chairs. I have a craftsman mortiser jig that you can place your wood underneath and clamp it in and float your router on top of. My question is, is there a more easier way to get the work done?

I have seen jig's that ride in the slot on your table saw but they look real complicated. Plus on top of that I have a low end table saw.. I'm not sure If that kind of jig would work on my table saw to make the tenions.

what can I do to help me get the work done in a low cost and more efficient way.

I have done this kind of work before but it is very tedious work if you know what I mean. Not to be gripping Just wandered if there is a better way to get the work done thats all.... :huh::huh:

Thanks.............................................

The tenoning jigs are really not complicated at all. If you don't want to shell out the money you can always build one, there are plenty of different types and styles. If I were you I would make a really quick and dirty one that rides on the fence of your saw, 3 peices of wood plus a clamp and you are done. Not only will this let you know if you are able to on your TS but it will also allow you to see if you like it. The other option is to simply do it on your router table, if you have one. Just take a scrap of plywood or MDF and put a fence square to one edge to support your stock and run it along your router table fence. I had done it this way for a long time, then made a nice jig that rode on the fence of my TS and about 5yrs ago bought a Delta tenoning jig. Honestly if I only have a few to do I either run them on my TS with miter gauge or on my router table, but if I have a bunch to run I love my tenoning jig. Here is a link to a basic shopmade jig and the second link is to a pretty cool shopmade jig. If you want to look I know youtube has a few videos as well. Good luck.

Nate

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=30723

http://woodgears.ca/tenon/jig.html

The tenoning jigs are really not complicated at all. If you don't want to shell out the money you can always build one, there are plenty of different types and styles. If I were you I would make a really quick and dirty one that rides on the fence of your saw, 3 peices of wood plus a clamp and you are done. Not only will this let you know if you are able to on your TS but it will also allow you to see if you like it. The other option is to simply do it on your router table, if you have one. Just take a scrap of plywood or MDF and put a fence square to one edge to support your stock and run it along your router table fence. I had done it this way for a long time, then made a nice jig that rode on the fence of my TS and about 5yrs ago bought a Delta tenoning jig. Honestly if I only have a few to do I either run them on my TS with miter gauge or on my router table, but if I have a bunch to run I love my tenoning jig. Here is a link to a basic shopmade jig and the second link is to a pretty cool shopmade jig. If you want to look I know youtube has a few videos as well. Good luck.

Nate

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Workshop/WorkshopArticle.aspx?id=30723

http://woodgears.ca/tenon/jig.html

Thanks for the advice it was really helpful. I was looking at the jigs you posted.

That second one Is tight. But I might try to make one like you said.

Just throw one together or something. I have a low end Ryobi table saw. So it will be interesting to see how every thing goes..

I have done mortise and tenion work before. I just didn't have this many to do at one time.

I will keep y'all posted on how every thing goes. I almost have every thing cut and ready to go, to do the M&T work.

There is four chairs that I have to do. So its definitely gonna take a little time. I was just looking for a faster way to do it.

Thanks again.... :):)

• 2 weeks later...

How far is it from the inside edge of the left miter slot to the blade? I can tell you if the grizzly jig will work on yours if I know this distance.

From dead center of the left miter stot to the blade it is 4 3/4 in. 5 inches from the left edge of the left miter slot..

And from what I can tell it looks like the grizzly jig is on sell right now...

Well I am at that point where I do all the mortise and tenion work...

I am going to atemt to build one that rides on my fence..

Thanks.....again.. :D