Stain & finish Pecan

paul42

To be honest, wdwerker Steve has a lot more experience than I with dye application. From your example photo, it appears that pecan absorbs more color in the light sapwood than in the darker heartwood, leaving the sapwood with a browner tone in the example. I really don't know what hot water will do, other than raise the surface grain. Alcohol is often used as solvent for wood dyes, so maybe a pre-application of alcohol could help with absorbtion. I would suggest a fine sanding (180 at least), followed by a light application of water to raise the grain. After drying, sand again, up to 220 or even 320. Use a vacuum and / or tack cloth to get all the dust off. Use a thinned application of dye, flooding it on and wiping it off almost immediately. Repeat until the desired tone is achieved, keeping in mind that most clear top coats will add a touch of warm yellow.

I am just repeating what I have learned from other threads on this forum. I have very limited experience with dye. Steve or some of the others may jump in and show that I am totally off base, so don't go just on what I say. And try it on a piece of scrap first, anyway!

I usually spray dye using an alcohol solvent. I have used water soluble dyes but they can behave badly with water bourne finishes that I use. Raising the grain is always a good idea on tops getting a fine finish, dye or stained.

It's easy to get too dark with dyes and lap marks can be a pain. Spraying a diluted dye lets you use a careful overlap pattern and build color gradually.

You can apply it by hand but practice before you tackle an expensive slab.