How to post pictures...

Sac

OK I created a new account just to see what you are seeing (in case my Admin privileges change things). I was able to successfully attach a .jpg file so I don't really know what is causing the error for you. Have you tried maybe switching to the Flash uploader?

I found the problem. I could open the jpg file in any viewer with no problem. I tried opening the file in Photoshop and it could not open it because it was an "arithmetic coded jpg". I opened it in Microsoft paint program, and resaved it as a jpg which did something to the file that allowed me to upload it.

I do have one question though. I thought it would load my jpg as a full size image, but it made it a thumb nail image. I see full size jpg's imbedded in replies, but I have not been able to do that. How is it done?

Once you attach the image, look to the right. You should see an option to Add to Post or something to that effect. If should add the image to the post at full size. At least I'm pretty sure. Let me test.

post-1-0-51226800-1289592805_thumb.jpg

OK so clearly that's not it. I think the full images must be coming from a hosted image. So instead of uploading and attaching the image, they might be linking to the image using the "insert image" button above the editor window.

wall_shelf_loaded.jpg

Yup.

Once you attach the image, look to the right. You should see an option to Add to Post or something to that effect. If should add the image to the post at full size. At least I'm pretty sure. Let me test.

OK so clearly that's not it. I think the full images must be coming from a hosted image. So instead of uploading and attaching the image, they might be linking to the image using the "insert image" button above the editor window.

Yup.

So, it looks like I would have to point to a hosted image in order for it to show full size (imbedded in the reply). That is an image with a URL address. I just tried the "Add to Post" button for the attached image, and even though it is still a thumbnail, it no longer has the heavy bold text above the image that says "Attached thumbnail(s)". Cleaner that way and you can still tell it's a thumbnail that needs to be clicked on.

Thanks Marc.

• 5 months later...

Hi Folks: Well, no matter what I do I can't seem to upload any pictures. I keep getting this message:

053.JPG

Upload Skipped (This file was too big to upload)

I also do not know how to resize photos? I have 2 different programs Pixsizer & Faststone, neither of which I can figure out. Geesh.....

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Hey Steve. I can't really help you on the resizing front as I am not familiar with those programs. But you have indeed identified the reason for the error. We have to limit the size of the photos to conserve space on the server. Hopefully someone can chime in with advice on resizing using those programs.

Hi Folks: Well, no matter what I do I can't seem to upload any pictures. I keep getting this message:

053.JPG

Upload Skipped (This file was too big to upload)

I also do not know how to resize photos? I have 2 different programs Pixsizer & Faststone, neither of which I can figure out. Geesh.....

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

I use GIMP...it's free and easy to use. http://www.gimp.org/

• 2 months later...

I wrote this someplace else on the forum, but it will probably be easier to find in here.

How to resize images prior to upload

0) Download and install http://www.irfanview.com/ (it's free for private, non-commercial use)

1) Open the first photo in the folder with it.

2) Now you can begin working with that photo. I generally want to crop the photo the first thing I do (like cutting down the waste with your table saw). Just hold down the mouse button and draw a square around the part you want to keep. It can be adjusted after it's drawn, just grab the line and pull it the way you want.

When you feel the crop is right, press [Ctrl] + [Y] (or click Edit > Crop Selection).

3) Now let's resize the image so it's more fit for posting OnLine, press [Ctrl] + [R] (or click Image > Resize/resample).

What to resize the photo to depends on what you want to use it for but for general web-use i just type in 750 in the Width-box under "Set new size:". Make sure the "Preserve aspect ratio"-box is checked (it should be by default) or the photo will get warped. Hit OK.

4) When that's done you can make a quick auto-tune of the color by pressing [shift] + (or click Image > Auto adjust colors). If it's not an improvement just press [Ctrl] + [Z] to undo (or click Edit > Undo).

5) Save the photo as a new copy by pressing (or clicking File > Save as...).

6) Press [Page Down] to go to the next photo in the folder (or click the blue arrows), repeat from step 2 until all photos are done.

7) Upload the edited photos and post away!

This might sound like it's complicated but once you've learned the keyboard shortcuts it's mayhaps the fastest tool for this kind of work - ever. And the little crop and color corrections often rescues those snap-shots that turned out not so good. It can also do a lot of other neat tricks like manual color corrections, batch processing whole folders, etc. etc..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am new here but have managed to upload pictures from my computer to the gallery. The problem I am having is how to upload pictures from a hosting site? I tried and got the URL box up, I then went to my hosting site and my album and clicked on the image to copy it. Then I pasted it into the URL box. When I previewed the posting it had just put a box up with a red cross in?? Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Yeah something is fishy Alan. There's really nothing in the forum stopping you from posting a link to a freely-accessible jpg gif or png file. And you certainly should be able to copy and paste the raw link right into your post. I'll try to insert a picture from a Photobucket link right here:

chair_2.jpg

Readyforcatches.jpg It was not trying to upload to the gallery that was the problem Mark it was trying to place an image in a posting. I can upload images from my computer to the gallery no problem but when I click on the image icon in the post it opens a box titled image properties and asking for the URL of the image. I shall try to just copy and paste the image to this post to see if it works. Ah! now that works but it has placed the picture at the top of the post although I inserted it below the words??? I have just tried it twice and it still defaults to the top? Thanks for the help Mark, much appreciated as I know you are a busy man.

My apolgies Mark, I did say to my gallery in the firt post, I did mean to a posting and not the gallery, sorry.

You should be able to move the text around the image to get it to look right. The editor displays things exactly how they will appear after you hit save. So just copy the text you typed up, and put the text above the image. If the image is all the way at the top, it might be tricky to get your mouse cursor up there. So just click on the image and then use the left arrow key to drop the cursor in front of the image. Then you can either start typing or paste your text. That's what I did here.

Readyforcatches.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have tired several times to upload a pic. I have shrunk them as far as I can and they are still to big. How can I post a pic.

How small have you shrank them? I often upload my pics to a hosting site, like Photobucket or Flickr. I then just use a link and put it in the post. Works a lot better.