Crosscut Sled Issue

harmgsn

Hi All,

I'm *very* new to woodworking and acquired a table saw that has presented issues.  It's a Ryobi RTS21.  Before anyone jumps in and bashes the unit and/or decision to buy it... it was a gift from a friend.  It's not a *horrible* saw and it does exactly what I need it to do in the space that I have available.  The issue I've run into is that the slots for building a proper sled are very non-standard.  (Pictures Here).  I don't consider myself skilled enough to properly build a sled and was rather looking to buy one somewhere.  Unfortunately Ryobi hasn't been of much assistance in this regard.  My Google-fu also seems to be severely lacking/failing me.  Does anyone have a good suggestion to help out a new guy?

Thanks!

Regards,

N

No, none of my other fixtures use them.  Then again, I don't have any fixtures.  I'd really hate to file them off just for a sled.  What someone did suggest to me is to make a sled that's large enough to hug the outside of the table.  The only gotcha with that is on the right side (the extendable arm) are two "posts" where the push rod affixes to the unit for storage.  I thought about using the router to cut that groove, but the "posts" are almost as wide as the material they're tapped into.  (see This Picture).  I'll take a camera out tomorrow and try to get a better picture of what I'm talking about. 

I was really hoping that someone knew of a place that made sleds or sled bases/runners for the Ryobi's that I could buy and use.  This is a very early startup shop (as in, I don't have many tools to really do an in-depth complicated build).

Thanks for the idea, however!  Input is *always* welcome.

Those type miter slots are meant as a "feature" that keeps your miter gauge from dropping out unless you pull it all the was. I don't know of any source for a ready made sled, but have you considered purchasing an extra Ryobi miter gauge or two and using them for the runners? There is another recent thread about a bottomless crosscut sled that brings this to mind. Another option is to cut runners that fit the wider bottom of the slot, and are thin enough to pass under the "wings". Then use washers to space between the runner and sled floor. Just need washers small enough diameter to fit between the wings.

Constructing a crosscut sled isn't all that difficult. Using a 2-piece floor allows you to square the fence to the blade with a framing square, attach it to the floor on one side of the blade, then slide the other half of the floor into place and attach it. Attach a back rail and saw the kerf - done.

Hang on cowboy.....no bashing here. Welcome...good place to hang out because of that.  Both ideas above sound good to me...

filing the wings off, making a two stage runner, or even purchasing two miter bars to use.  I don't like the last one as much because it seems a little difficult in my mind to hold the sled while aligning two bars into the T slots.  I definitely do not like the 'hug the outside' idea because the top is probably square  but I think you stand a better chance having the miter slots parallel with the blade. Either way, you'll enjoy the sled so again welcome!

could you shorten the runners and install them on the front half of the sled.  I realize this would shorten your stroke of the sled, but I don't use my crosscut sled for panels often.  Just a cheap fix to get u going.  Cross cut sled is a must If you don't have a miter saw, like me :}

I agree with kiki. Also you do not need to have two rails on a sled. One will do as it only locates and guides the sled keeping it straight. Also you find that some saws t tracks are not completely parallel and two rails will bind.

Make the rail fit the slot from some quartersawn stock (mahogany is good) and watch this William Ng video 

I know he shows 2 rails in this and you can make it whatever size you want.

As a side issue if you watch the video William puts guards on at the end. The one that protects the blade when it emerges through the fence won't work as the blade will cut straight through it as it's wood!!.... just a thought

• 1 year later...

I'm in the "file them off" camp.  You can really go at it till you get close and then use a mill file to sneak up on a good match.  If you build a jig 'around' the ears, you will have to build EVERY jig 'around' the ears. Lose 'em.

Also, I would take a stab at building a very simple sled just for the experience. where are you? Maybe there is a member nearby who would offer their assistance.

I am in NW Fla SW of Tallahassee.

I have built a couple and was disappointed with both.

I had looked at cutting the little ear things off even before I found this site but was looking around on the internet hoping someone had found the golden bullet. I also considered the buying a couple of more miter gauges but there is a little slop in them as well. I generally like the saw but had I had more experience I probably would have paid a little more and got a saw with standard channels.

I think I am going to get rid of the ears and worst case scenario my grandsons will have a saw when they are older.

thanks, and I will keep checking in.

creek

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but the way I solved this was to cut two runner 5/8 wide by 3/8th of an inch tall.  I then cut 2 1/8th rabbits on the top side where the wins are, then sanded down my height from the bottom of the runners until I reached good sliding motion, but yet stable motion with no slop.  Btw, used a router and table to cut the 1/8th inch rabbits.