Narex chisel sale

woodhack

Is anyone familiar with Narex mortise chisels? Lee Valley is having a sale right now for a set of 5 mortise chisels for $45. Don't kill me but I do most of my mortising on a machine but I figured it would be easier to clean up the edges with these rather than my bench chisels. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've got a set of their bevel edged chisels that I got last December. Great quality for the price. In fact, Narex got FWW's best value award in a write up they did last year some time. I saw the sale on the mortise chisels and ordered a set. Should arrive early next week at latest. I look forward to them.

Sean

I have a full set and agree with the other comments so far. The work well and have been a good starter set. Took awhile to get the backs flat but I use them all the time and have no complaints.

-Gary

Uhg, no kidding. Getting them flat at the tip is no big deal, but if you want them all flat, 'nutha story!! But I really like mine. But if someone wants to send me a set of Blue Spruce bench chisels to compare against, PM me for my address :)

Uhg, no kidding. Getting them flat at the tip is no big deal, but if you want them all flat, 'nutha story!! But I really like mine. But if someone wants to send me a set of Blue Spruce bench chisels to compare against, PM me for my address :)

Paul, I'll take a set too, please. Seriously though, my new set of Narex mortise chisels arrive tomorrow. Woot!

Sean

I picked up a set too ... and a router plane, a tenon saw and a jointer plane (can you say overboard?!)... Boy oh boy it's like Lay's potato chips. You can never stop at one!

Now I need to ask for some Mahogany for Christmas!

Treefrog created a monster with that tweet about those mortising chisels, I bought them too, as did another friend of mine. I 'played' with them a bit, they seem pretty nice out of the box...I'll spend some time honing them (when I find the time).

Now...Mike, if you want to trade the router plane, tenon saw and jointer plane (extreme jealousy) for my stash of Mahogany...I think we can strike up a deal.

Treefrog created a monster with that tweet about those mortising chisels, I bought them too, as did another friend of mine. I 'played' with them a bit, they seem pretty nice out of the box...I'll spend some time honing them (when I find the time).

Now...Mike, if you want to trade the router plane, tenon saw and jointer plane (extreme jealousy) for my stash of Mahogany...I think we can strike up a deal.

But then what would I work that pile of mahogany with? Wait ... Don't answer that, I think I hear the answer already :lol:

they were on my doorstep when I got home from work. Very nice looking, nice heft. They chopped right through some pine right out of the box. Some honing and they'll be ready to go to work for real. Just in time for the mortise and tenon frame and panel chest I'm planning.

Got mine on Tuesday, chopped a 1/4" mortise with em out of the box just for kicks. Tonight I spent a little morethan an hour setting up the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", I'll do the other two some other time. The backs are basically quite flat, I timed myself on the 3/8" chisel and it took 20 minutes to flatten the entire back and polish through 8K plus hone the bevel side @ 37 degrees, just a small bevel at the tip of course.

I counted 300 strokes on the 1,000 grit stone then polished it up and noticed a tiny area in one corner that I didn't quite get to so back to the 1,000 stone for another 100 strokes. That did it. The 1/4" I got on the first try, the 1/2" had the same bit on one corner. Except for the corner you are just removing macine marks. Good job by Narex with the grinding :)