When does one purchase a jointer?

collinb

Keggers, This made me laugh when I read the last part. Reminds me of when I was in jr. high and I told my mom I was in love. She said "son, you'll know when you're in love". That night she and dad sat me down for a grown up discussion

We had similar parents. I remember my dad telling me one time, after I told him I loved a girl, that I didn't know what love was. He was so right!

Collin,

The answer to your question "when do I need a jointer?"  My opinion is when you decide to start working with rough lumber. A jointer and planner is a must for this if going the power tool route. Using rough lumber opens up unlimited options of what species and dimensions of wood you can use. Although usually you can have the place you buy hardwood from mill up the lumber to your needs for a small fee.

1) Jointer makes one side flat and one edge 90 deg to that flat side.

2) Then the planner makes the other side parallel to the flat side made on the jointer. and also makes the piece to the thickness you need.

3) put the 90 deg edge against your table saw fence and rip the board to width needed. You can also use the band saw to do this.

4) use the table saw or miter saw to cut board to length.

and now you have a perfectly milled up board.

Jointer has nothing to do with rough vs not. It's flat vs not flat , straight or not straight. it doesn't have anything to do with how you purchase material.

Yes you are technically correct but If he is not using rough lumber or edge jointing boards for glue up as stated in his question I can only assume he is buying lumber already milled maybe from a box store and this lumber is flat enough to build stuff with therefore you really don't need a jointer. if your just edge gluing boards you could just get away with a router table. But using rough lumber you have to have a jointer and planer to mill them up, or hand planes. Therefore I believe rough lumber and a jointer is related. just my opinion though.

April Wilkerson on you tube makes some really great stuff with using lumber from the box store she does not have a jointer.

And Steve Ramsey on you tube makes some cool stuff also I think he got rid of his jointer.