Kitchen Helper Tower

Chuck Melton

Here's my version of Marc's kitchen helper tower. I am not quite finished, but I am definitely coming down the home stretch.

I used thinner stock for the legs (2.5" instead of 4") and dividers (1" instead of 1.5"). When I showed the original version to my wife she said it looked too heavy, so I thinned it out a bit. If I did it again, I may have stuck with the 1.5" dividers to get a beefier Domino in there (I used 5mm on the narrow dividers and 8mm on the 4" dividers).

I also added rear dividers instead of putting in the dowel pins. I figure that as the platform get's lowered, the rear dividers could simply be removed if they are in the way.

b2c96a639dfb3324c937428f03820049.jpg

I still have to put the threaded inserts in for the knockdown joints, glue the cleats to the side rails, trim the platform panel, and slap some finish on.

This was my first project with the Festool Domino and I absolutely loved using that tool. I ended up with a couple of small gaps in two of the joints on the glued up side panels. I think it was due to the thin rails being a hair longer than the thick rails. I am going to start using my crosscut sled to get parts to final dimension instead of being lazy and using the CMS.

I can wait to see finish on that lovey straight grained white oak. I was thinking about minwax tung oil finish. I also have some 100% pure tung oil as well as some GF Arm R Seal on the way from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true, my oldest is 10 years and I don't know where that time went.  Trying to decide if it is worth trying to build in.... 10 days!  I could probably get it done but would require some late nights and simplified joinery. 

Thanks, what a nice gift.  How old is your nephew? 

He turned 2 in October. I am on a mission to not give him anything that's made out of plastic or requires batteries for the first couple years of his live. I made him a xylophone with padauk keys for xmas last year.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Minwax Tung Oil Finish for white oak?

Ok, as I don't have little ones anymore; Chuck, this thing looks fantastic! So, what is a kitchen helper tower?

It's a sort of elevated toddler jail that you can push up against a counter to enable them to more effectively assist / observe. Basically, it's a bit safer than having them stand on a chair.

I've been so busy trying to get things wrapped up before I am out of the office for holidays that I set a 60 minute time limit for the beer holder. Everything was out of the scrap pile so I didn't have to mill or rip anything down. I made one end piece and then just resawed it (bandsaw marks are rustic right?), no sanding, and no finish.

I really like the no sanding part.

• 2 weeks later...