New Festool Toy

wouldwurker

==>a little disconcerting that it's Swedish and there's no price listed

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/416451/king-arthurs-tools-total-sanding-kit.aspx

==>sanding attachments for my die grinder.  Some are useful, some are worthless.

So, want to shape some wood? http://www.amazon.com/SGS-Tool-Company-18211-Diameter/dp/B001VXSL60/ref=sr_1_26?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1419213478&sr=1-26&keywords=Rotary+Burr

==>done with rasps

I've got this puppy -- removes stock like crazy -- leaves a pretty good surface: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/half-round-roughing-rasp/half-round-roughing-rasp-12-half-round-?node=4153. If you ask, LN may have the curved profile version in their stock room... It's perfect for chairs...

What was this thread about anyway? Ohhhh, yea -- sanders... Well the top item is a sander...

BTW: burrs are really handy for curved work and DIY activities -- just practice first...

About what I expected on the King Arthur unit.  Looks like a nice setup.

I have a number of burrs.  Flame-tip, ball, egg and a couple others in a variety of sizes.  Epstein has good prices on what seem to be quality burrs.  They haven't let me down anyway...of course I haven't put in a gazillion hours with them or anything but they remove stock quickly and cleanly.

The Hog is on my list.  I will be getting one.  Coarsest grain I have at the moment is five.  The three is gonna be like a chainsaw.  I also plan to buy a variety of rifflers.  I really enjoy the sculpting stuff, and it opens up so many roads when you're able to free-form shape wood effectively.

I am switching from Rubin to Granat as I use up boxes of abrasive. I find it cuts better and lasts longer.

Vinny, congrats on the new vibrator !

As a new festool abrasive buyer/user, I went with a few boxes of Rubin (150, 180, 220) and they work well. The sander came with one disc of 80 grit granat, which I find cuts very nicely. I was considering the switch over,but was unsure if this was wise as the granat is specified for plastics and clear coats.

I'm glad that you posted this - I think I will make the switch now with more confidence.

Rubin is for bare wood. Granat is a cure-finish leveler...

FT has several guides -- the best is a 20-page PDF abrasive reference that’s been deleted on FT’s site… Luckily, I found a copy on JD’s site – I’d download it before it’s pulled as well… http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/Festool/Festool_abrasives_brochure.pdf

FT’s new abrasive guides are superficial, but if you’re looking for quick info:
http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Abrasives_brochure.pdf
http://blog.festoolusa.com/post/2010/12/13/Choosing-the-Right-Abrasive-Type.aspx

Just a note – one cause for pigtails is using the wrong abrasive – there’s a reason companies like 3M make a 100 variations of abrasive – it really does make a difference…

I always refer to this abrasives search tool to make decisions.  It can't possibly be the abrasives that are causing my problems...unless the abrasives are defective or Festool is completely nuts and their Rubin 2 line of abrasives are in fact NOT appropriate for raw wood...because that's all I use for raw wood.

http://www.festoolusa.com/abrasives

Ruben 2 is a semi open abrasive which is fine for bare wood. The reason you get pig tails is overspending with a single grit abrasive. If your sander has seen any use the pad brake wears making it spin to fast. Fast spinning is common on brakeless air sanders used for line sanding, which is why two sanders are used. Replace your brake pad or switch back and forth between grits. 

Rubin/Rubin2 are FT's bare wood abrasive, so if that's what your using and getting pigtails, then it's either over-use as Don suggests, something in the sander, too much vac and or something with technique... I'm voting for the sander... But to Don's point, Rubin wares very fast -- you said something about 10 minutes on a disk -- that may be it for Rubin... I stopped using ETS sanders prior to Rubin2, so can't really comment...

I'll be sending back the 150/3 to Festool for inspection and repair as soon as my /5 arrives.

There is an article on the FT USA site blog its called swirl mark battle or battle of the swirl marks something like that anyways, you may need to search. It sort of explains how the pad wear causes pigtails.

The FT sanders have an optimized rotation speed which is why they do better than cheap sanders. The reality is the cheap sander do just as well but you have to switch back and forth between grits. The FT sanders once the pad wears spin to fast just like any other ro sander.

One thing that could be a factor is the vac setting… Mentioned it before, but maybe worth a further look… I found ETS dust control is so good, that I constantly had to fight the vac… Even on set on its lowest level -- ‘turtle’, I could run into trouble… Eventually, I purchased a new hose end and drilled lightening holes…

==>explains how the pad wear causes pigtails.

thanks, i'll look for that... I could see a pad wear issue since Eric's using the /3 for everything...

One thing that could be a factor is the vac setting… Mentioned it before, but maybe worth a further look… I found ETS dust control is so good, that I constantly had to fight the vac… Even on set on its lowest level -- ‘turtle’, I could run into trouble… Eventually, I purchased a new hose end and drilled lightening holes…

I've used it on dead turtle, but the paper tends to load faster.  Pigtails.  I've used it kicked up to maybe 1/5th power, loads a little slower.  Still pigtails.

I think you've got the right plan -- get the /5 up and running and send the /3 back... I've only sent two tools back to FT and found their turn-around time to be around a week... And they never charged me for the repairs -- and one was out of warranty...

@OP --- the article surfaced by Don has some tips on the 2/e and the other orbitals --- worth a read...

remember back in the day when the only sander you owned has a box store ROS and you bought sanding discs 5 at a time and sometimes you went searchig behind a cabinet for a slightly used disc?

Yes sir, I remember it like it was yesterday... because it was :unsure:  I thought everybody still did that?

I read the article.  The only thing in there that struck me as a possible issue is the brake pad thingie like Don said.  Sounds like it's something easy to fix yourself but I'll probably just send it in for service anyway so they can give it a thorough once-over.  Before I send it in, I'll do a side-by-side comparison with the /5 and /3 using the two new pads I'll be receiving.

TripleH asked if I new when the new 150 EC is coming to the U.S. Short answer is I don't. FestoolUSA responded on the FOG site with no firm date known and didn't think it would be before June. I'm guessing a 9 month delay to the U.S. which brings us to the 4th quarter of 2015, hopefully early 4th qt. Also have to wonder what Festool will do with the existing ETS 150 sanders. Can't imagine they'd have two versions of the ETS 150 sanders. Attaching a pic of the new sander for those who may not have seen it yet.post-16531-0-64234000-1419271165_thumb.j