New Ridgid Table Saw?????

Nick2cd

Has anyone tried or seen the new Ridgid r4512 table saw? My home depot doesn't carry it in the store. i am looking for a new saw and have been very pleased with past ridgid tools. there are finally a couple reviews on HD's website and both reviewers seem quite pleased with the saw. but who knows, that could just be ridgid reps amping up excitement? just looking for some input.

Has anyone tried or seen the new Ridgid r4512 table saw? My home depot doesn't carry it in the store. i am looking for a new saw and have been very pleased with past ridgid tools. there are finally a couple reviews on HD's website and both reviewers seem quite pleased with the saw. but who knows, that could just be ridgid reps amping up excitement? just looking for some input.

I've heard mixed reviews on the new R4512. I'm not too shure about the saw, And I haven't seen one in person yet. It was supposed to be released in Oct. I have the R4511 it was replaced with this model, and I'm happy with it for the most part. If the R4512 will be any thing like its predecessor I thank you will be happy with it.

I've heard mixed reviews on the new R4512. I'm not too shure about the saw, And I haven't seen one in person yet. It was supposed to be released in Oct. I have the R4511 it was replaced with this model, and I'm happy with it for the most part. If the R4512 will be any thing like its predecessor I thank you will be happy with it.

i haven't been able to find reviews of this saw period, mixed or otherwise. everyone seems to be very happy with their 4511's and their 3650's. i've tried to find an older model ridgid but that has proven to be very difficult thus far. i'd love to talk to someone who has actually used one of these saws.

i haven't been able to find reviews of this saw period, mixed or otherwise. everyone seems to be very happy with their 4511's and their 3650's. i've tried to find an older model ridgid but that has proven to be very difficult thus far. i'd love to talk to someone who has actually used one of these saws.

Hi Nick, I have the Ridgid TS3650 and am really happy with it. I have a forrest WW2 on it, it spins my 8" dado set up to 3/4" in plywood, cherry and walnut without any problems, 36" rip capacity and I've slid the fence rails to the right on occasion to get 48" capacity. For the money, bought mine used for $250.00, I think it's a great saw. If your looking watch Ebay and Craigslist, Pat

Hi Nick, I have the Ridgid TS3650 and am really happy with it. I have a forrest WW2 on it, it spins my 8" dado set up to 3/4" in plywood, cherry and walnut without any problems, 36" rip capacity and I've slid the fence rails to the right on occasion to get 48" capacity. For the money, bought mine used for $250.00, I think it's a great saw. If your looking watch Ebay and Craigslist, Pat

Pat,

i've heard nothing but good things about the ts3650. i have been checking craigslist for about a month or two and just haven't been able to find anything reasonably close to me.

Nick, what area do you live in? Some people may keep an eye open for you. Also join Ridgid's forum someone there might locate one for you, keep looking it took me about 3 months to find mine, I looked at 3 or 4 before I found one in very good shape and bought it.

Cubsfan, I googled the sears saw, the pics were somewhat different than the Ridgid, don't know about the guts though...

Nick, what area do you live in? Some people may keep an eye open for you. Also join Ridgid's forum someone there might locate one for you, keep looking it took me about 3 months to find mine, I looked at 3 or 4 before I found one in very good shape and bought it.

Cubsfan, I googled the sears saw, the pics were somewhat different than the Ridgid, don't know about the guts though...

Pat,

i live in Charleston, WV. im going to keep looking. i definitely can't find anything local. our craigslist is terrible. i have been better served using columbus' craigslist or even cincinnati's. just have to find the right saw. i have been kicking around the idea of getting a sawstop table saw as well. it's about 4 times the cost of the ridgid, but my finger or hand may be worth it.

Isn't that the same saw as the Sears 21833?

It does look like it. I have the 21833 and I like it. I know a lot of people complain about the supposed "alignment issues" but I don't know how many actually own the saw and how many are just regurgitating whatever nonsense they read on a forum somewhere. It was out of alignment out the box of course, but I was able to get the blade to miter alignment to less than .002 without much difficulty. Maybe I was just lucky. The fence is not so great....there is very little adjustment if it is not aligned correctly.

Do not know anything about the R4512, but I have the TS3650 and I LOVE IT! It does everything that I could want. If the R4512 is as good as the TS3650, then it will be good. As with most tools, I am sure that they have found somethings to cut corners on and keep the same price. But thats just my negative attitude.

Jeff

The 2009 recall mentioned pertained only to the early R4511, which is now discontinued. It's worth noting that the TS3650/3660 (made by TTI/Ryobi), R4511 (made by Steel City's Orion), and R4512 having little to nothing in common except for the nameplate and retailer. Though the 3650 and R4511 each had their virtues, they're no reflection of how the R4512 will perform. AFAIK, the R4512 is nearly identical to the new Craftsman 21833, and is manufactured by Dayton. I've read about some of the early 21833's having reported alignment problems, but I haven't been hearing about those lately, which leads me to believe they've either resolved any issues, or have included steps in the instructions to prevent them. I haven't used one, but from a glance the R4512 and 21833 look to be a pretty decent saws for the asking price...sale prices and coupons should make them even more attractive (I've seen the 21833 in the low $400's.) The steel wings, inboard motor, legstand, aluminum fence, and price puts them in the same market as the former Hitachi C10FL/Porter Cable PC270TS (same saw with some updates), but I'd have to say the fence on the R4512/21833 and the wings appear a bit more robust than those on the Hitachi/Porter Cable. What else in this class is out there under $600 new?

As with any saw, good setup and blade selection are huge factors in determining the end performance.

• 2 weeks later...

From all that I have heard the new r4512 is a great table saw worthy of consideration and hard to beat in the price category. The only issue I can see is ... you can't get 'em. Home Depot had them available on their site for about a week in early November. By the second week in Nov they were "Sold out, not available on line". By week 3 they must have gotten another shipment as they were again available up until a few days before Thanksgiving. I just looked at the HD site a minute ago and the item isn't even shown now. That tells me that they have sold through all stock ordered and will probably not be replentishing anytime soon.

Nuts.. That saw is pretty high on my want list.

If you are looking for a sub-$800 hybrid cabinet saw, you should really look at the new Grizzly ... http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Tablesaw-with-Riving-Knife-Polar-Bear-Series/G0715P

I have a 220V, 3HP Grizzly G0690 cabinet saw and it is fantastic. This new 110V, 2HP cabinet saw appears to be a slightly lower-powered, 110V, version of my saw. It looks identical. The fence is amazing.

Oh! ... it's on sale for $758!

From all that I have heard the new r4512 is a great table saw worthy of consideration and hard to beat in the price category. The only issue I can see is ... you can't get 'em. Home Depot had them available on their site for about a week in early November. By the second week in Nov they were "Sold out, not available on line". By week 3 they must have gotten another shipment as they were again available up until a few days before Thanksgiving. I just looked at the HD site a minute ago and the item isn't even shown now. That tells me that they have sold through all stock ordered and will probably not be replentishing anytime soon.

Nuts.. That saw is pretty high on my want list.

The Craftsman 21833 doesn't offer a lifetime service agreement, but it's essentially the same saw...adding it to your list increases your chances of getting one, plus increases the chances of getting a nice deal on one...I've seen it in the low $400's in recent weeks.

RIDGID-R4512-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw2.jpg

21833.jpg

The Craftsman 21833 doesn't offer a lifetime service agreement, but it's essentially the same saw...adding it to your list increases your chances of getting one, plus increases the chances of getting a nice deal on one...I've seen it in the low $400's in recent weeks.

I got my 21833 for under $400 (I think it was like $380 out the door). It was on sale, plus some extra off for a coupon or something plus even more off for being a member of the "Craftsman club" which I only signed up for to get an extra discount on this saw and haven't used since. :) They also thew in a digital readout dealy for the blade angle (cost $70) but I forgot to mail it in time. Doh!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with others the TS 3650 is a great saw. I got mine about 6 yrs ago and even after getting a cabinet saw I still end up using the TS3650 quite a bit as it is a nice saw. I would keep looking for a used one, in my area (Reno, NV / NorCal) they pop on Craigslist quite a bit for $250 - $400. Good luck.

Hey Nick! I bought one last spring and would say that, for the money, I think its a great saw. I love the granite. It takes a lot of setup but once I did that performs well. Like many of my tools, I wish I had spent more and gotten a Saw Stop, Jet or Powermatic but that's a whole different ballgame isn't it! LOL The Ridgid is nice cause it is easy to move around relatively accurate, runs on 110 and has a riving knife. The down side is the fit and finsh is not the best and the blade guard sucks. I don't like working with the guard on the table so I fashioned a riving knife out of aluminum which, although its a little flimsy, works fine. I might have one fashioned out of stainless later. Next I am going to add a out-feed table which I think is essential. Like I said before, it's a great saw for the dough! Good luck, Tom