couch? how'd they do that?

mjgreenwood

I love Mid-Century Modern furniture. I read a blog on it all the time. Link to the blog

I love the couch post-2504-0-80700200-1289536066_thumb.jp

What Joinery & Construction would allow a 79" couch like that to be solid.

I was napkin drawing how'd build something like that. I just don't see how it can be solid at that span with nothing in the center of the back?

I am a novice with furniture, I love to hear what you guys say.

Love that site!!! Thanks! I'm thinking it should be thick enough, because the weight distribution would normally be at the rear of the cushion and that is reinforced with the back. The back and the arms together would add a lot of rigidity to the piece. Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in. You could always do the seat in a torsion box and veneer it, also.

Without seeing the back I can't be sure, but I think I have an idea. if the back is a vertical solid piece (or a suitable truss), and the bottom is fitted into a dado in the back, then the back will essentially act as a brace for the bottom, keeping the bottom from bowing. If the back is 16" high and solid, then nothing is going to make it bend downwards, and as long as the seat is anchored into it securely, the seat won't go anywhere.

I'd be worried about the front drooping.

Like I said, this is just a guess and it's after midnight. You think I'd learn not to post after midnight.

Without seeing the back I can't be sure, but I think I have an idea. if the back is a vertical solid piece (or a suitable truss), and the bottom is fitted into a dado in the back, then the back will essentially act as a brace for the bottom, keeping the bottom from bowing. If the back is 16" high and solid, then nothing is going to make it bend downwards, and as long as the seat is anchored into it securely, the seat won't go anywhere.

I'd be worried about the front drooping.

Like I said, this is just a guess and it's after midnight. You think I'd learn not to post after midnight.

Back in the sixties I made quite a few pieces like this I used to frame up using 5" x 1 1/4" timber usually Beech or Maple for the front and back rail of the seat frame with thinner 3" x 1/2" beech slats set at right angles to the front at about 2" spacing. The back was sometimes a solid build of 1 1/4" stuff and sometimes this was framed up as well. It was always stiff enough. If I made one in Pine which did happen sometimes I would run a 3" x 1"vertical rail further back from the front and underneath morticed into the end frames to give it a bit more rigidity.

Nice looking piece though.

Pete