Walnut Lamp

PaulDerrico

This is my first true "commissioned" piece. It was built for a friend who runs an award-winning, high-traffic, high-dollar studio down here in Davie, FL. He has a full custom facility with IKEA accent lamps. So I figured it was time for him to have a custom piece. I designed the whole project in Sketchup, got some tips on the forums here, built a full-sized prototype, and went from there. This is also the first time I worked with unsurfaced wood from a lumber yard. I don't have a jointer or planer, so I had to mill everything by hand (yikes!!!!). The legs came from a single 16/4 piece of walnut. It took me three evenings just to cut that on the bandsaw and mill it down, by hand, to the right thickness with perfect right angles.

The finish is 3 coats of clear shellac with 2 coats of paste wax applied and buffed with 0000 steel wool. Super proud of it, and I'd love feedback and constructive criticism.

The piece has a drawer in the front that is designed to fit the shape of the sides. It's designed to be invisible, but you can see the small reliefs in some of the photos. And the last photo is of the lamp in the studio.

Marc, you're a big inspiration as always. Same goes for all the people posting on this site. You guys rock!!!

Thanks in advance!

=paul

post-485-0-00977300-1289593254_thumb.jpg

post-485-0-13186200-1289593323_thumb.jpg

I really like it Paul. Are the legs splayed a bit, too? Kind of looks like it, but could be an optical illusion from the inside taper. The recurring arch is a nice theme and really highlight the shelf in the studio photo. I like the proportion of the negative space created for whatever nice art object might be placed there in the future. I would try to figure out a way of hiding the cord. It's just a bit distracting.

Aww thanks, Wilbur. I'll be happy to send you the sketchup if you want to build your own. No problems with that.

@Vic: Yeah, the inside taper creates that illusion. The legs are straight down on the sides and double tapered on the inside corners. I REALLY wanted to hide the cable, but I was just not confident enough bandsawing into one of the legs to create a hidden channel. The thought of totally ruining the piece was too strong. And for the arches.... I have to give credit to some contributors on the DESIGN IDEAS section of the forums. Soemone recommended that and I ran with it. It turned out to be the missing ingredient to the beginning design.

Thanks fellas!

=paul

Hi PaulDe, very nice lines and workmanship...especially impressed how you worked down the 16/4 for the legs. My question relates to the top of the lamp. It appears from the photos that there is at least a wood perimeter on the "lid". Is the lid completely wood....or is there a circle of the same white plexiglas so light also shines up....and perhaps illuminates a favorite ornament or statue belonging to the owner?

Let us know and keep up the great work

• 4 weeks later...