new toy (pm shaper) (with gloat)

tcarswell

It took me a while to get the man power to pick this bad boy up . But I finally

Got the folks together today and went and picked this bad boy up. It was used for one project (something about beams in an exposed ceiling ) it was previously owned by a good friend of mine who sold it to me At just a silly price. anyway this is a power matic 27 5 horsepower with the baldor motor. it came with the power feeder as well he has to run and get that out of storage for me.luckily its single phase 220. Now I just have to install a sub panel to run this bad Boy

post-16322-0-91341000-1421546187_thumb.j

post-16322-0-10279600-1421546206_thumb.j

post-16322-0-16986000-1421546222_thumb.j

post-16322-0-57913800-1421546240_thumb.j

I literally could have gotten away with less than half of this machines power. The price was absurdly right and I'm doing my kitchen and my neighbors in the coming months. It was manufacturer ed in Tennessee and is in beautiful shape. It pursss like a cat . Motor has less than 1 1/2 hours.

Good point Mr wdwerker. I'll skip the 1/4 I have a router table for those guys so no biggie. Cool thing is the same friend is selling me a unisaw 3 hp with the big table and a 20 " powermatic planer. For similar prices. He wants them to be used and I'm able to help with that :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a nice old shaper. What spindles did it come with? 3/4 and 1 1/4 are a must have for a 5hp shaper. If your going to do cabinet doors look at a dual hook head 1 1/4" arbor and have some knives cut with both the profiles on a single knife. This will save you a chunk of change.

Like this. Also most profiles can be doubled up on single knives.

post-5350-0-95044900-1422294363_thumb.jp

Thanks pb yes it came with 1 1/4 but no 3/4 where would I track one down? I also have the table inserts on the way. I was gonna pm you with questions you seem to be the resident commercial big tool guy.

And Vinny yes it's pretty close :)

I would just call powermatic. You will need the spindle and spacer set. In fact I would pull off the one you have and post a pic here. If its the same as the newer ones that would be better than the nut because you can use counter bored cutter heads, which are great for tenoning. 

I would go to Oella saw and look at the dual hook heads. Then go to Mirror reflection and rummage their knife selection. Then go to my wood cutters .com and rummage theirs. Mirror reflections will have 10 + thousand choices. But that being said you can be creative and customize knives so that you can get a two profiles in one.

Don't forget a starting pin. You will want one to run a shelix and bearing.