How bad of bandsaw blade welds would you accept?

williaty

I'm having trouble getting bandsaw blades that are welded properly. Well, at least I think I'm having trouble and that's why I'm coming to you guys. I've ordered blades made from Lenox blade stock from Spectrum Supply (twice) and then from a local supply place. Both sets of blades had the same defect. The weld is ground well so there's no change in thickness, but the ends of the band aren't parallel. From both suppliers, the ends of the band were crooked relative to each other such that the teeth in the region of the weld are shoved forwards. You can observe this easily watching the blade on the saw and you can also visually confirm it by holding a straight edge up to the teeth and spine of the blade over the weld and you get a convex edge on the teeth side and a hollow on the spine side.

The first batch of blades from Spectrum were so badly off it's clearly just unacceptable. The second set were better, but still no good. The current set made up by my local supply house is the best yet, but still out enough to make me wonder. On the current set, the teeth in around the weld are about 1/16" forwards of the rest of the band. To me, this implies those teeth are going to take a heavier cut, which is not going to be good for either tracking or for consistency of surface finish.

Would you guys reject blades that are 1/16" out like that, or am I being overly critical at this point?