pagoda style cufflink box

That's wenge for ya...wild brown and black striping.  It's more pronounced in flatsawn stock and before finishing.  Rift/quartersawn not as much, and after finish it turns almost all black unless closely inspected in good light.  I have a little cabinet in my kitchen built of wenge...every person that sees it asks "what kind of wood I dyed black?"  I fight the urge to slap a face.

• Like 2

Since this project is going to it's new owner tomorrow, I took the opportunity tonight to snap a few pictures.

The construction is the same as #1&2 with different materials.

Main frame is Kiln dried AND Steamed walnut. The client requested a milk chocolate colored wood so. That fit the bill well. The quilted maple from box one and two ran out so this is the first cuts from another woodcraft maple block.

I am very happy with the fit and finish. Took a few angled pics to get a better idea of how it feels from the sides and top.

As is my usual, 3 coats of Arm-r-seal . First coat wet sanding it in with 430 grit paper fills the pores and grain holes nicely.

TEASE   :)

Back to your original prototype, that's the most decorative use of flatsawn endgrain I've seen to date. Very cool.

...and btw, they're "Freedom Cuffs" :)

Yeah, I'm pretty ninja like that.

It definitely isn't end grain but looks sweet. The wenge shorts I picked up au woodcraft for cheap had way better grain contrast and kept it's color much better than a big ole 17"x59" piece I came up on at the lumber yard

The chamfers on the ends of those side pieces..Router table and chamfer bit?

They remind me of the little feet you'll see glued under small boxes.

Pretty much. 90* vee bit used to cut the grooves in legs and boxes. Ran the square stock on the miter gauge with a backer. I Didn't even need to clean them up. That's how they came off the router table

• Like 1

Sucker's got that box down pretty good but he won't share his build

That's not true. He's actually gotten me to the point I'm at!

I resemble that comment. Ship me a piece of that pretty walnut you got drying and maybe I'll share two pages of notes...

Dang, already did that. I got nuttin..

I'm hoping since I suck at stoping to take pics, your taking enough to do a journal.

• Like 1

I resemble that comment. Ship me a piece of that pretty walnut you got drying and maybe I'll share two pages of notes...

Dang, already did that. I got nuttin..

I'm hoping since I suck at stoping to take pics, your taking enough to do a journal.

Nope, no journal, I don't want to be showed up by some cuff link wearing California guy.

Did you really put a finish on the inside of the sides. I'm doing that now, prior to putting the top on, and it ain't fun. There's lots of joints that create runs!