Which Hand Chisels

mzingali

Hey Guys,

Just watched Marc's podcast #21 Pare Essentials and was wondering if anyone knows what brand/type of chisels Marc was using?

Also, along the back wall of Marc's shop are his parallel clamps on the wall. Anyone know what these clamps are hanging on? I can't see it that good on the video.

Not sure how soon Marc will see this post...lol

TIA

Mike

I'm not sure about his chisels, but he has this post about his clamp rack.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/a-good-design-for-clamp-racks/

Hey Guys,

Just watched Marc's podcast #21 Pare Essentials and was wondering if anyone knows what brand/type of chisels Marc was using?

Also, along the back wall of Marc's shop are his parallel clamps on the wall. Anyone know what these clamps are hanging on? I can't see it that good on the video.

Not sure how soon Marc will see this post...lol

TIA

Mike

AS for the chisels,I have heard lots of people say good things about Narex chisels. They are a good compromise between affordability and performance. I have the Irwin Marples set. While they are affordable, I think that the edges roll off them pretty quickly. If I were to do it again, I think that I would go with the Narex. My FIL is wanting a new set and I think that I am going to recommend to the family that they get him those. And for the clamp racks, I use the Pinnacle. I have two of them and they are great. They are filled with Jorgy parallel clamps. Seem to do the trick very nicely. I think that you can also find them on sale far about $25 each. I think they are worth the money, but I am kinda lazy that way sometimes.

I have two sets of chisels, a set of Narex that I bought from Highland Hardware and a set of Japanese chisels that I bought from Grizzly. Both sets were rated best value in FWW a couple of years ago.

The Japanese chisels seem to hold their edge very well. The only problem is that most honing jigs won't hold the blades so I have to sharpen and hone by hand.

The Narex chisels seem to round over until you have sharpened them many times. My guess is that the factory grinding overheats the edge which reduces the hardness. I sharpen by hand (no power grinders) and have taken two 10mm chisels and sharpened them at 30 degree skew angles. I did this on a course diamond plate and took off quite a bit of steel. These chisels seem to stay sharp forever. I also have a couple of chisels that I use a lot and have sharpened many times. They seem to hold their edges much better than they first did when they were new. As soon as I get some time, I plan to sharpen off a 1/16" off the other chisels and see if they improve.

Alternatively, you can spend big bucks and get some top line chisels that require sharpening once a year or so, if you can afford them.

Don't know the brand but I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese chisel. The short blade and the straight handle with a hoop are the first clues. If you look around 3:55 in the video, you get a good look at the relief grinding on the back of the blade that's normal in Japanese chisels. Starting around 5:39 you get a good look at the business end and you can see where the harder steel that forms the cutting edge is different in color from the softer metal that is used for the rest of the blade.

Google "Japanese chisels" and you can browse to your heart's content.....

HTH,

Bill

The brand I have is Fujihiro from Hida Tool I can't give you a direct link because its one of the worst shoppings sites I've seen in years, lol. But just drill down into Woodworking, then Chisels, and you'll see the various brands they carry.

Hida Tool can be summed up like this: Great people. Great products. Lousy website. ;)

The Fujihiro brand chisels rock. Those are the same ones that I have. SplinterMike is right about the price for the set, but there are two things to consider. First, a nice box with calligraphy on it is included in the price of the set. It's cheaper to buy the chisels separately, skipping the box. Second, you don't need all ten chisels. Try a chisel in a size you use often.

These aren't the cheapest chisels, but if your chisel buying options include Lie-Nielsen, Blue Spruce, Barr, etc., the Fujihiro brand chisels will definitely be in the running.

Sometimes I go into the shop and whisper sweet nothings to my Fujihiro chisels. I do love them so... :) I actually started out with three, in the most common sizes I use. A year later I picked up a fourth. A year later a fifth. Now I have 8 of them, but the largest and smallest sizes aren't used that often. I think the average person could easily get by with a set of 4.

I also the Veritas MKII, I love that thing. Most people use waterstones and love them because of the speed, I use oil stones. If I buy a new chisel or plane and have to lap the back and put a new bevel on it it does take longer but when it comes to regular sharpening and honing it doesn't take very long at all, it is all up to the user. As for chisels I have Stanley's and am pleased with them, they aren't the new ones though.

Nate

Sometimes I go into the shop and whisper sweet nothings to my Fujihiro chisels. I do love them so... :) I actually started out with three, in the most common sizes I use. A year later I picked up a fourth. A year later a fifth. Now I have 8 of them, but the largest and smallest sizes aren't used that often. I think the average person could easily get by with a set of 4.

does nicole ever get mad when you bring them to bed? my wife wasn't too appreciative of the low angle block plane!

As for sharpening, I'd like to hand sharpen as well. What type of guides are you guys using to sharpen and hone? (to make sure you are in fact at the angle you want to be at)

TIA

Mike

For my chisels and any other straight blades, I also use the Veritas Mk II. For my cambered blades, I use the $20 cheapie available at any borg (the one with the narrow wheel). I love the Mk II though. Easy centering and no guess work on the angle setting. And that little knob that you flip to switch to micro bevel mode? Priceless! It even takes my big meaty mortising chisels :D :D