Initial Router Recomendations

EverStudious

I have six but use the OF1400 for handheld and the PC7518 in the table for 99% of my work.  I don't drop my routers on the floor so my Festool remains a Cadillac and my favorite by far.  DC, ergonomics and precision are head and shoulders above the rest.  My 7518 is in the early stages of the speed switch problems it's famous for.  But it's a beast for the router table.

For your first router, it's all about versatility.  Pick a plunge unit with at least 2HP and it'll take you a long way down the road...at least until you build a table.  Having a second router in the table is a no-brainer, IMO.

• Like 1

So to expand my novice set of tools I'm looking into various routers, and I am looking for advice on what type, kind, brand, Horse Power (HP), combo, etc would be in the long term most beneficial. I am not a fan of buying one thing then learning that something just a bit more expensive would serve greater purpose later on as  I develop my wood working skills. I've had advice about getting a plunge router with around 2.5 HP.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. 

I have grown very fond of the bosch routers I have had at my disposal. Specifically the 1617 combo kit. I prefer it over the comparable porter cable set up. Don't buy festool for your first router. Its too much money, and It is a beautiful tool, but you should have the versatility of a kit with a plunge base and a fix base when you are first acquiring tools. As almost everyone commented on this thread, they all have multiple routers.

I have the fix base in a shop made router table, and use the plunge base for all hand routing. I work in a cabinet shop and this is the only router we have besides a trim router. Not that a larger one wouldn't be nice every once in a while, but we make do with the 1617 (granted one of our neighbors has a shaper we have used a handful of times).

I have also extensively used the comparable Porter Cable kit, and this is what i noticed.

The Bosch has a better on/off switch. Its a little easier to hit than the Porter Cable.

The pattern guide system is superior, much easier to exchange guides and there is less worry of the guide vibrating loose.

Overall I have experienced less vibration with the Bosch router, the porter cables seem rattly in general.

The depth stop is less cumbersome and stays on point pretty well.

The plunge limiter mechanism works well, has plenty of steps, and there is a nice micro adjust on the depth stop. 

It is easier to switch between the fix base to the plunge base, the porter cable you have to get out the hex keys for the plunge base.

It is easier to change bits, you still have 2 wrenches but the one smaller one helps with locating them. The porter cable has two cheap wrenches that are the same size. they slip fairly easily.

The MRC23, the new Bosch plunge router is available in a combo kit (though I have yet to see one in stores) and has trigger handles which make a huge difference. I have not used one but it looks like pretty much the same deal. You will probably be able to find cheaper 1617s soon I imagine.

I've got a few and really like them all.  For hand held ops, I really like the OF1400!  I leave by Bosch 1617 set up to use with my DT jigs but, I really like this one for regular ops as well.  I have the PC 7518 in my router table and have a Bosch Colt for light duty stuff.

To Bill's comment, I have no complaints with the OF1400.  

Bill - what about the OF1400 sucks?  

I'm curious, too. The OF1400 will probably be my next router.

Basically, ergonomics. It's hard to balance on an edge, the handle arrangement is awkward for plunging and too high during most operations, making the router tippy.  Cut visibility is poor. The baseplate inserts on mine have to be shimmed to be flush with the base and I still catch corners occasionally. The stamped insert for the P-C guide bushings doesn't center on my copy so I have one of Pat's bases for use with guide bushings.

On the positive side it probably has the least runout of any router in its' class, the electronics are excellent(except it has that useless 1-6 marking on the speed dial instead of actual RPM) and it's just a tad noisier than the P-C 892(quietest router I've found). For me, the handling is the biggest obstacle, I much prefer something like the DW 621 for a plunge router and the Bosch for fixed-base. And it's a game-changer for shelf and cabinet dadoes when used with the guide rail attachment and MFT-3.

Which is why I said no one router does it all.

Best,

Bill

You will find that its more of a to each his own thing. So many are of the I own it so it must be good mindset or it does the job for me so its good enough for you mindset. Personally I could care less what anyone else owns. The Festool is a clear winner when it comes to dust collection and  the guid rails are a nice novelty. I don't see them as any more accurate than the others and hand feel is a personal opinion. PC, Bosch, Dewalt and all the others are like the child that somebody dropped off at the fire station and nobody wants. These companies get bought and sold so often and each time they tend to go a little further down hill. One thing they all have in common is that they all spin router bits and all of them do a pretty good job.

• Like 1

You will find that its more of a to each his own thing. So many are of the I own it so it must be good mindset or it does the job for me so its good enough for you mindset. Personally I could care less what anyone else owns. The Festool is a clear winner when it comes to dust collection and  the guid rails are a nice novelty. I don't see them as any more accurate than the others and hand feel is a personal opinion. PC, Bosch, Dewalt and all the others are like the child that somebody dropped off at the fire station and nobody wants. These companies get bought and sold so often and each time they tend to go a little further down hill. One thing they all have in common is that they all spin router bits and all of them do a pretty good job.

A lot of truth in these statements - I guess that is why you see real innovation at Festool.  PC, Dewalt, etc are just brands that get flipped.  Their motherships have no interest in R&D, they are just milking the cow.  

I own the OF1400.  I like the dust collection but it comes at the expense of visiblity.  You really can't see your cut with the DC hooked up.  The rails help fix that problem because if you are securely attached to the track you have less risk of the router going AWOL.  

A lot of truth in these statements - I guess that is why you see real innovation at Festool.  PC, Dewalt, etc are just brands that get flipped.  Their motherships have no interest in R&D, they are just milking the cow.  

I own the OF1400.  I like the dust collection but it comes at the expense of visiblity.  You really can't see your cut with the DC hooked up.  The rails help fix that problem because if you are securely attached to the track you have less risk of the router going AWOL.  

With the dual arm sliding compound miter saw and new safety mechanism on a table saw Bosch would seem to have some innovation.

With the dual arm sliding compound miter saw and new safety mechanism on a table saw Bosch would seem to have some innovation.

Bosch is kind of an oddity.  The power tool business merged with Skil and is based in the chicago suburbs.  They are owned by the Bosch foundation, which is the German trust set up by Robert Bosch.  All the profits go to charity.  At least that is the structure as far as I understand.  I do agree that they do show more innovation than PC, Dewalt, milwaukee, etc.