Workbench on Craigslist

I see a lot of "I paid $200 in 2006 and only these three parts are broken, all easy parts to get so I want $185 no lowballers."

If you like it give him a call. I used too harsh of language when I called him a liar. Tiods is right in looking for the good. Good luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this scenario is all too common. The seller misrepresented the item to be sold either by his own misinformation, or deviance. But let's remember kids, we live in a capitalist society. Any item can be bought and sold for any price so long as both parties agree on the terms. To someone who absolutely needs a bench right now, the price may be worth it.

OP, if your using CL, your going to run across this. You did the right thing and researched the item. Now that you have the info, use it as you will. I personally think that is a very pretty piece. If you want the bench, use the information to get a better price. New info doesn't have to be a deal killer.

A perfect example. I recently decided to upgrade my offshore fishing gear. I found an AVET JX raptor NIB. Seller wanted 90% new value. I knew it was a factory blemish based on two tone color scheme. I rounded up a few buy it now links on ebay showing the going rate being about 60%. Sent an email informing him it was a blemished reel and offered to pay the 60% I could buy one for.

Two weeks later, got an email to come get it.

Moral of the story. The item was misrepresented intentionally or not. I amassed my own information, offered to pay what it was worth to ME, and now own a sweet black/purple raptor. Win/win

But shipping from south africa might be a killer.

Garrett Wade bought in fairly sizable quantities, so shipping would have been amortized over multiple units.  They also would have gotten a much better quantity discount.  

I just did a quick search of GW Rhodesian workbench - it did turn up a bench that currently sells for just under $2000, but it's not the same bench as the one the OP posted.  Larger, heavier and looks like better hardware for the vises.