How to start slow ...

WorkinDog

Any suggestions on how to start slow with Cabinetry or Finish Carpentry? Given the uncertainty of how this works what is the best way to start slow instead of jumping in w/ both feet? I would like to do some weekend / night stuff but with 4 kids (very active I must add) time is of a premium, so what types of activity can I do to drum up some business on the side?

Rick

Any suggestions on how to start slow with Cabinetry or Finish Carpentry? Given the uncertainty of how this works what is the best way to start slow instead of jumping in w/ both feet? I would like to do some weekend / night stuff but with 4 kids (very active I must add) time is of a premium, so what types of activity can I do to drum up some business on the side?

Rick

You can spread the word around at your church, bank, barber shop etc. Make up a nice flyer that you can deliver to neighborhood paper boxes. In that flyer give some information about yourself the type of work you do and perhaps a photo or two of your work. Stay away from advertising your services on craigs list. Advertising in a local community paper is good, remember though that you will need to make a constant presence in that paper. One or two ad's may get you a call or two but to get a reputation going you should keep the ad running at least every other week for a few months or more if budget allows. Also visit your local home centers and interior designers and leave your business cards. I had a couple of interior designers that kept me busy full time when I first started out. Paint stores are also a good contact. Another place to consider is audio/visual systems dealers. Some of their clients could be in the market for a custom cabinet for their systems or stand for their tv etc. Years ago I did all of the above and I had plenty of work. All you need is one or two clients to get the word of mouth going. Word of mouth will be your best marketing. Even though it's a slow economy now there is work out there, just start shaking the bushes a bit.

• Like 1

Hey Rick,

Dale's got some great suggestions on getting the word out. Starting slow is a good idea esp. since family is involved. One thing that will help you get the word out and keep you from doing work you don't want to do, is figure out exactly what kind of finish carpentry and cabinet work you would enjoy doing most. Be specific. This will also help you get inquiries that are serious as opposed to just curious. Like, if you prefer making built-ins to doing interior trim work, etc. Don't be afraid to specialize right out of the gate because that will mean more work. You want to serve a small loyal audience who needs what you like to do and who will happily bring their friends into this group.

Go get 'em! And let us know if you have any questions along the way

• Like 1

Rick, ever here the tired expressions, "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet" or "you have to spend money to make money"? You might think about producing a piece or two that you can present at a high society charity auction. I built a Federal style Pembrooke table about 5 years ago and donated it to the Baltimore symphony to auction off in one of their gala events. The event was black tie and very exclusive. The piece sold at auction for $2500 and I eventually landed 3 customers from it. I am extremely part time in my woodworking so those 3 folks have kept me busy and I have had to turn away some referrals. Once I get ready to dedicate more time to it, this tactic will be one of my first to try again.

• Like 1

Well I would think that starting off slow is easier then try pack a 40 (or 80) hour week with wood working.

I'm going slow too, I have a few repeat customers that usually keep me just busy enough so that I'm not overwhelmed. I also am going slow to avoid debt. I have seen alot of people go broke because of the economic downturn... I'm not going to let that happen to me. If I don't have the cash I don't buy it, all my tools are bought in cash and I get 50% payment up front for "bigger" jobs.

Doing that also allowed me to buy 2 pickup truck loads of exotic wood for about 25% of retail price from a guy that was going out of business.

I need to sell some more so I can upgrade my lathe...

Derek

I am only "semi-pro" in that I have a regular day job, but also take commission work for woodworking. I have a fully equipped shop for the most part although so my equipment is not my limitation, but simply my time. Right now I have one commission that I've had to put on hold while I crank out another short timeline project for another client. Between my day job, the commissions, and reminding my wife who I am, I am definitely feeling a bit overextended right now. Complicating matters, my day job unexpectedly takes me out of town, making it even harder to manage timelines and expectations for my woodworking. I do have mechanisms to adjust my marketing tactics up or down depending on my capacity, but in some cases work comes along that's too good to refuse, but causes a bit of stress. I'm wondering if any other "part-timers" out there have figured out any other methods for balancing the workload in an admittedly unbalanced and unpredictable market. I like the extra income, but I also want to ensure that woodworking remains fun and interesting, rather than a chore or a source of stress in my life.

I am only "semi-pro" in that I have a regular day job, but also take commission work for woodworking. I have a fully equipped shop for the most part although so my equipment is not my limitation, but simply my time. Right now I have one commission that I've had to put on hold while I crank out another short timeline project for another client. Between my day job, the commissions, and reminding my wife who I am, I am definitely feeling a bit overextended

right now. Complicating matters, my day job unexpectedly takes me out of town, making it even harder to manage timelines and expectations for my woodworking. I do have mechanisms to adjust my marketing tactics up or down

depending on my capacity, but in some cases work comes

along that's too good to refuse, but causes a bit of stress.

I'm wondering if any other "part-timers" out there have

figured out any other methods for balancing the workload

in an admittedly unbalanced and unpredictable market. I

like the extra income, but I also want to ensure that

woodworking remains fun and interesting, rather than a chore or a source of stress in my life.

I think the key is in your observation that some projects are just too good to turn down. I think you just have to either turn them down or explain your time constraints and see if they are willing to wait. Too much of anything piled on top of other stress, is still too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I too, am trying to poke my toes into the water before I jump in and I've got a full-time job with 3 kids. I agree with RenaissanceWW that you have to make some sacrifices before you see real results. To get my name out I've been doing jobs for cheap so that I can build up my portfolio. I make sure to let them know that they are getting a deal and that I'm really expensive so hopefully others don't think they are going to get a deal. Also once I get really busy I learned that it's a good time to increase your prices. At a higher price bracket you should land fewer jobs and maybe even make the same amount as if you were doing more jobs for less money. If you do land that next job with the increased price hopefully it will be worth it

I'm a "Pro" only from the stand point of making things for the restoring of museum aircraft. I got started several years ago by making parts for a Cessna "Bobcat" being restored by a friend. He then donated the airplane to a museum in Canada. I was contacted by the museum at a later date to make more parts for another plane. It took off from there. I didn't really try too hard to get into the woodworking business, as I was teaching engineering in a college at the time, and later owned a business that kept me busy. But since retiring it is fun and pays for the vacations, golf and fishing. I think the advice given above so far is all good. Give it a go. Don't wake up at 80 years old and ask, "Wonder what would have happened if I had.........?".

I too am "going pro", I specilize in kitchen and bath cabinets. I work in a cabinet shop 40 hours a week so I have a hard time balancing the two. Working for a cabinet shop and trying to start my own has created some unwanted friction between me and my employer,I am in constant fear of being fired which I don't like. Also my shop is holding me back too its only a 12'x16' so cutting down ply is a big challenge for me to do by myself. I'm only 21 but I've been building and installing cabinets sence I was 14, I have the experience so getting jobs to do hasen't been too big of a problem for me, word of mouth spreads fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading one of my earlier posts in this thread about "knowing when to say no", which made me chuckle since that is the challenge I am really facing right now. Starting slow, and keeping slow is really beginning to cause me some challenges. I have had to turn down two prospective customers recently, and saying "no" is starting to bother me a bit. I don't want to turn someone off that could be a repeat customer, but at the same time my workload right now just won't allow me to take anything else on. The requests I've been getting don't seem to understand the real time and effort behind building a piece. In one case, I said "no" simply with my bid price (I had a feeling they were looking for something on the cheap), but my next request is seeming harder to turn down (it's a project I've done before, I know exactly what it will entail, but it's still a low margin job). I intentionally use "elastic" marketing technique to dial up or down my marketing efforts, but it's almost impossible to control entirely. Anyone else run into these kinds of issues? I know I shouldn't complain about "too much work", but it's a difficult balance.

• 2 months later...

The hardest part about starting out slow is just getting started. The second hardest is knowing when to say no to avoid going too fast.

The real issue of slow vs. fast is ... when do you "quit your day job?" I don't know where the line of demarcation is on that. But that is the issue.

Just my 2-cents.

Chester

The real issue of slow vs. fast is ... when do you "quit your day job?" I don't know where the line of demarcation is on that. But that is the issue.

Just my 2-cents.

Chester

These days being a self employed furniture maker could more secure than some day jobs. Only (you) can decide when the time is right or if it ever will be right. There is no guaranty of success so make your move wisely and have something to back you up in lean times. I've been very lucky with my chosen path, sure there are some slow times but I can always find work if I need too. It really boils down to your determination, if this is what you want you will find a away to make it happen. In a way furniture makers are like actors or musicians, many are waiting for that big break. If that big break does come in could be a short ride so you need to depend on yourself to make the right choices.

• Like 1

sort of on the same topic . . . .

In this economy I'm hoping you get a good deposit before starting a project. I'm thinking 50% minimum isn't out of line. It's more likely in a "down" economy that people a) walk away and don't follow through with the entire purchase, or B) leave with the item and now the job of collecting the remainder of the price is almost your fulltime job.

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is interesting to me...I have a day job, like most people on here I assume. I am very fortunate in my day job that I get to work from home and pretty much set my own schedule. Anyways, I have done a few commissioned pieces here and there, but nothing too serious. Now I am in the process of making a few "showcase" pieces such as end tables, pens, bottle stoppers, blanket chest, etc to "shop around". I already have a bit of a portfolio, only the pictures are horrible; but I want to use this as pieces to take to some shops around town and see if they are interested. Along those lines, would you recommend taking those pieces physically to the shops, or take some high quality photos to show them on a laptop or something?

This topic is interesting to me...I have a day job, like most people on here I assume. I am very fortunate in my day job that I get to work from home and pretty much set my own schedule. Anyways, I have done a few commissioned pieces here and there, but nothing too serious. Now I am in the process of making a few "showcase" pieces such as end tables, pens, bottle stoppers, blanket chest, etc to "shop around". I already have a bit of a portfolio, only the pictures are horrible; but I want to use this as pieces to take to some shops around town and see if they are interested. Along those lines, would you recommend taking those pieces physically to the shops, or take some high quality photos to show them on a laptop or something?

Take the high quality photos and put together a nice presentation packet to mail to a number of shops and galleries. Along with the photos include your bio, why you enjoy what you do, contact info, pricing, etc. Cold calling may be uncomfortable for both you and the shop / gallery owner. Send your packet and follow up with a phone call in a week or two.

• Like 1

In a way furniture makers are like actors or musicians, many are waiting for that big break. If that big break does come in could be a short ride so you need to depend on yourself to make the right choices.

Funny. Reading this thread felt like many conversations I've had in my "day job" as a musician. I'm just getting started in woodworking... don't even go on this part of the forum very much.

It seems like relatives always ask me the same thing. How did you get started and how do you market yourself? The first question is a long drawn out one... I won't answer that here because it has nothing to do with the topic. The second does though.

People are amazed that I have never once did a bit of marketing or even set out to get a job. In the early days I did work for very cheap or free. I was just learning and it was a fair trade. My clients were getting an inexperienced person and I was gaining experience. Over time I built a decent portfolio and word got out that I did good work.

Ever since then there have been good times and bad times. I have been able to weed out the work I didn't want and the vast majority of what I work on I love. The trade off has been that I don't live as comfortably as some of my peers but that was a choice I made. When I hear some of the stuff my friends have to work on just to pay for the new car in the parking lot I know I made the right decision. If you are comfortable making just enough money you are able to pick and choose projects.

I have used the tactic of bidding myself out of a project many times. One time it backfired. I wound up doing the project but I made enough to live off of for six months and I was able to afford to work on a few projects I really wanted to do for free. It was well worth it.

I think like any freelance work you need to be proud of your work at the end of the day, live within your means and don't be afraid to spend a few more hours/days making things just right even if the money doesn't add up in the end. Eventually it will. If every piece you produce is as good as you can make it more work will come in from it and you will eventually move up the ranks and be able to charge more.