When your jointer gives you lemons...

Eric.

Yep.  Not only would I be looking at a complete shop re-orgo to fit a 12" jointer, but it's nearly twice the price for four more inches of capacity.  Nah.  I don't have that kind of money to throw around for so little return.  I think we all have that moment when we dream about a 12" jointer as if it's plausible...I awoke from that dream a long time ago.

Agreed.  The idea of a 12" jointer is seductive.  But lets be honest, how often does the need arise to flatten a 12" wide board?  That is right, almost never.   And practically speaking, flattening a 12" wide board of any length on a jointer would take way more muscles than i have in my puny overweight body.  A power feeder would be a must to get full utility out of it.  Those few times you want to flatten a 12" wide board, the usual tricks of getting one side flat enough and then turning it over to the planer is actually pretty efficient.  

Very few finished furniture parts are wider than 8".  Basically only tops and case sides.  And a top is the only time you probably really care about using the full width of the board.   The top is a show piece, spending a little more time milling is not the end of the world.  

Yes with infinite space and dinero we'd all have a 12" or 16" jointer.  But  in the real life hobby world, a 12" jointer is truly an embarrassment of riches.  

Agreed.  The idea of a 12" jointer is seductive.  But lets be honest, how often does the need arise to flatten a 12" wide board?  That is right, almost never.   And practically speaking, flattening a 12" wide board of any length on a jointer would take way more muscles than i have in my puny overweight body.  A power feeder would be a must to get full utility out of it.  Those few times you want to flatten a 12" wide board, the usual tricks of getting one side flat enough and then turning it over to the planer is actually pretty efficient.  

Very few finished furniture parts are wider than 8".  Basically only tops and case sides.  And a top is the only time you probably really care about using the full width of the board.   The top is a show piece, spending a little more time milling is not the end of the world.  

Yes with infinite space and dinero we'd all have a 12" or 16" jointer.  But  in the real life hobby world, a 12" jointer is truly an embarrassment of riches.  

Oh I don't disagree. But some of the equipment that is on here with even hobby level guys approach that embarrassment of riches status already. Hence the question.

A 12" jointer would be welcomed in my shop. I have an 8"  and I've got plenty of 9-12" boards that I usually mill and break after ripping on the bandsaw. 

yeah but do you then glue them back together to use as 9-12" boards?   Maybe it is just the stuff I build, but other than table tops I don't need a lot of 12" wide parts in my furniture.  I cut everything down to rough width before milling.  

Edited by Guest

Yeah I took a real raping.  Cliff just cleaned out my shop and headed home.

Getting the jointer loaded up turned out to be less of an ordeal than I expected...especially since Cliff's stepdad did most of the work while we blathered on about nonsense.  Was nice to meet you Cliff and I hope that jointer serves you well once you get her up and running...it sounds like you're in good hands.

Matt, that blank was only waxed on the ends so it was thoroughly dry.

In my defense, I would have tightened down the jointer but I'd have done it wrong and he'd have had to redo it. I find it's often more time efficient to just watch. 

We were talking - we may just replace all the bearings for fun. Since we know dudes that do it here in town, can't hurt. 

Of course it rained constantly on the way back. Oh and I did stop at Rockler. I am so glad I didn't get paid until today. I'd have spent every cent of my paycheck. 

It was good to meet you too man, the raging fire of jealousy inside me at the your nice shop layout will motivate me. 

• Like 1