Crayon + shellac

Bombarde16

what removes wax from shellac?

Gravity.

I'm sure there's some chemical witchcraft that commercial shellac manufacturers use to speed things up (or maybe a centrifuge) but in a nutshell, you dissolve natural shellac flakes and wait for wax settle to the bottom. Shellac's natural affinity for wax makes me wonder if I'm in the market for scrubbing the finish off this piece (locally) with alcohol and starting over.

Gravity.

I'm sure there's some chemical witchcraft that commercial shellac manufacturers use to speed things up (or maybe a centrifuge) but in a nutshell, you dissolve natural shellac flakes and wait for wax settle to the bottom. Shellac's natural affinity for wax makes me wonder if I'm in the market for scrubbing the finish off this piece (locally) with alcohol and starting over.

Rob, since it doesn't cost much have you thought about giving Mr. Clean’s Magic Erasure a try? It’s supposed to get crayon marks off of walls. Looks like a sponge, but I'm not sure if it would work with shellac though. It’s used dry, and you can buy it in most grocery stores. Has two side, but use the white side.

Wow...that is tough...I have tried with luck in the past using one of those Tide stain remover pens. But with shellac sometimes I have ghosting of the Crayon in the surface. Works great on lacquer and water-based finishes. Lots of info if you do a Google search...but if you find something please let us know.

31Yj685OBeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Ace-