Hardwood indoor dog cages

jimmobley

I think traditionally lattice was used before metal screening was manufactured. Lattice is sold pre-made for porch skirts, or you can make it yourself. You can weave the strips over/under, or just cross them and glue them for a more squared off look. The strips can be diagonal (more common) or vertical and horizontal.

Google "wooden lattice" and select "images" for lots of examples. You can make it as simple or ornate as you want.

How about using the same hardwood for the grilles. Make the bars about 1/2" X 1/2", joining them using half lap at 2" OC. I made floor registers using this technique at 1"X 1" spacing on a 12" X 12" unit that I can stand on.

I have been asked to build three dog cages, furniture grade. I need a source for some moderately priced metal grills for the sides, front and back panels for air flow. Any ideas? I cant think of another choice or how to do it with wood? Crates will be about 24x30x42.

You can get some great ideas by visting the Orvis website. I've been thinking of taking an Arts & Crafts approch to a few of these at some point in the future.

The dogs should be used to being in a cage. I had one once (for a very short time) that suffered from severe separation anxiety. I tied him in the basement and went to work. He broke a water pipe, tore apart the sheet rock and chewed halfway through a 2 X 4. A wooden crate doesn't stand a chance if you have a crazy dog.