Harbor Freight 12" lathe

jg9522

I just purchased a 12" lathe from Harbor Freight. I don't normally buy junk, but this lathe had some good reviews, and I don't plan on doing alot of turning. Maybe some chisel handles, knobs or pulls, small bowls, or if needed furniture parts.

I did buy a Ridgid lathe off Craigslist, but after doing some research, it did not have the ability to accept many accessories, so I sold it along with the included turning tools. I did play with it a little, and found that turning might be fun, but dangerous!

So now I need your recommendations for a brand of tools that I can search for used, without spending alot of money. Not junk, but not top of the line.

Also, I did not buy the flimsy stand that was offered for this lathe. Would I be better off trying to build a stand for this lathe, and if so, would anyone have a design or plan for a solid stand for a lathe?

Thanks in advance for any guidance that you might offer.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a set of tools. Especially since you are new to turning. Just buy a 3/8 spindle gouge. This is enough to make tool handles, pens, christmas tree ornaments, and most things that are not bowls, balls, or specialty cuts. 

Mine is a henry taylor kryo and it works great. Also you are going to need a means of sharpening your tools before you can even begin. That means a grinder with an appropriate stone. If you don't own one you will need to buy one. This is really not optional.

Thanks for the reply highlander.

Hero, I do have an 8" slow speed wet grinder, along with diamond and waterstones. However, I'm aware that sharpening turning tools is a whole different animal and takes a different technique tha sharpening plane blades and chisels. I will need to do a lot of reading and watching to learn the correct way to do it so I can acquire the necessary skills. I have read that a roughing gouge might also be needed along with the 3/8" spindle gouge. Is that true. And do you recommend buying a top quality spindle gouge, or just a normal one. What would be a good brand name to look for? Length? HSS? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you don't plan on doing a lot of turning and since there's a learning curve with using traditional tools and sharpening them, could just use carbide.  There's easy wood tools and some other companies out there.  If you really want to save money, go buy some 1/2" bar stock around 12" long.  Drill and tap yourself, you can buy cutters online then turn handles yourself just using the bar, take it slow since the bar will be short but it works.  Then drill into the handle about 3", I use a 5/8" bit for the 1/2" bar stock and knock the edges off and hammer it in, also put epoxy in it to make sure it's not gonna go anywhere.

here's who I buy from, he's on youtube and has a lot of good videos if you haven't heard from him.

http://eddiecastelin.com/cutters_only

On 1/4/2016 at 8:27 PM, Gixxerjoe04 said:

Since you don't plan on doing a lot of turning and since there's a learning curve with using traditional tools and sharpening them, could just use carbide.  There's easy wood tools and some other companies out there.  If you really want to save money, go buy some 1/2" bar stock around 12" long.  Drill and tap yourself, you can buy cutters online then turn handles yourself just using the bar, take it slow since the bar will be short but it works.  Then drill into the handle about 3", I use a 5/8" bit for the 1/2" bar stock and knock the edges off and hammer it in, also put epoxy in it to make sure it's not gonna go anywhere.

here's who I buy from, he's on youtube and has a lot of good videos if you haven't heard from him.

http://eddiecastelin.com/cutters_only

You should take some pictures of the tools you made and post them in the turners corner.  I checked out the link,  could be pretty cool. 

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

You should take some pictures of the tools you made and post them in the turners corner.  I checked out the link,  could be pretty cool. 

Meant to get pics today but ran out of time.  Been needing to make one more for awhile, hopefully i"ll have time to make one tomorrow and take pics of it all and post it.

• 2 months later...