Planing end grain with DeWalt 735

mustanggt

Since I got such a response admonishing me not to run end grain boards through the planner I thought I'd update you on getting the Grizzly G0458 18" drum sander. It rolled off the truck and into my garage today. Looking forward to getting it up and running. Thanks for your concern and keeping me from going off the reservation.

You'll surely enjoy it I remember flattening my first end grain board through mine! I was tickled to death.

one caution! using 80 to flatten is tempting but un nessissary.  It takes a long time to un line the 80 gr lines. I moved to 120 and it feels like the perfect removal vs finish.

9 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

You'll surely enjoy it I remember flattening my first end grain board through mine! I was tickled to death.

one caution! using 80 to flatten is tempting but un nessissary.  It takes a long time to un line the 80 gr lines. I moved to 120 and it feels like the perfect removal vs finish.

you should see what 36 and 50 grit look like :)

Depending on how quick you are with the grit changes, I think your ROS principles apply well to the drum sander. Coarse, Medium, Fine. If you are flattening, whack it hard with a low grit, and then change to a medium grit. Depending on what I am doing, I usually start with 50 on the front drum, 60 on the rear. I flatten my islands/boards/whatever. When they are 90% flat, I switch to 80 on the front and 120 on the back. I have done 180 and 220 on the sander, but I think it's semi pointless in most cases. I stop at 120-150 and go to the ROS.

Go with what you have on hand, but if you use 120 to flatten your stock, then I think you are wasting time with more passes and you are going to clog paper at a faster pace. Just my experience though, I know plenty of people are satisfied with keeping one grit on their sander 24/7. Don't be intimidated by paper changes!

I don't have a dual drum so I'm limited on that front, but I can honestly say  that I don't think it takes much longer for me at 120 than it did at 80. 

At 80, I would flatten at 80, change paper to 120, remove the 80 gr lines then off to the ros for 80, 120,180,220.

At 120, it takes a few more passes but skips a whole step.