Planing end grain with DeWalt 735

mustanggt

I have a Shelix in my planer and I would never do it.  It's stupid.  Just because people get away with it doesn't make it right.  Wrong tool for the job.  Get a drum sander.  Router sled will work but still leave you with lots of work afterward.  ROS is no good to level a blank because it will leave a wavy surface on end grain, especially if you use multiple species.  Drum sander.  Not a cheap hobby.

3 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I have a Shelix in my planer and I would never do it.  It's stupid.  Just because people get away with it doesn't make it right.  Wrong tool for the job.  Get a drum sander.  Router sled will work but still leave you with lots of work afterward.  ROS is no good to level a blank because it will leave a wavy surface on end grain, especially if you use multiple species.  Drum sander.  Not a cheap hobby.

I Completely agree.

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

Just sand it by hand and be done with it.  Don't think too hard about it, in all likelihood you will never make another end grain board.  Its a known fact that 99% of woodworkers build one end grain cutting board as a rite of passage and never build another :)

That is until the wife says... "Honey that's beautiful can you make another 7 as gifts?" :)

• Like 1

If i may switch gears. I've been doing research on the DW735 (x). It is the planar that i currently own and is treating me well. I'm getting near to needing to buy new blades and the question that the search bar hasn't been able to answer for me is:

Infinity HSS vs OEM i can get 2 OEM off amazon for $75 shipped where as the Infinity HSS blades are $79 an didn't check shipping. Then there is the question of the Bryd head ($410 on amazon currently). I could save to afford it but I'm still kind of skeptical about it. I've read some about a wavy finish or the head not working as well and bogging down the planar.

15 minutes ago, Eric. said:

The nice adjustment mechanism on the PM and the digital readout are honestly the only two differences I can see between the two.  If those little differences are worth the difference in cost to you, go ahead.  Supermax is better bang for your buck IMO.

18 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Meh, the Supermax 1938 is more than sufficient

I think it's because the PM is pretty. It's just an attractive looking machine. I mean, I'm so far from a drum sander right now that the price difference between the two is not worth caring about. i can spend twice the amount in my dreams, it's totally allowed.

I figure late 2017 or 2018 before I can swing a drum sander. Unless I prioritize it over dust collection and a band saw.

It's a shame though cause I would really like to have one. Maybe I'll get lucky at an auction.