Dewalt 735 Online Auction Item Question

boelkers

I've been watching Craigslist and auctions around my area for a while now waiting to find a couple tools.  One such tool is a planer.  I have the opportunity to buy a Dewalt 735 from an auction close by.  Unfortunately I wont have a chance to go physically look at the item and I'll be doing the bidding online since the auction is 2 hours away from me.  Pictures of the unit look good.  Looks slightly used but not overly.  I spoke with a person at the auction house and they confirmed it does work.  Here's my hesitations:

1. Doesn't come with in-feed or out-feed tables, but if I got a decent deal I could purchase those later on Amazon for $45.
2. Auction house doesn't know its age but I can see the serial number in a picture and it starts with 200504.  Does that mean it was manufactured in the 4th month of 2005?
3. If I can buy this unit new on Amazon for $600, how much is too much for this used unit that potentially was made in 2005?

I welcome thoughts and feedback from others.

Hey Brandon,  when you look on the internet for pricing of the Dewalt 735 always look for he 735X.  That gets you the infeed outfeed tables and an extra set of blades.  The 735 is just the machine and 1 set of blades.  And they are usually the same price.

A used DW735 usually goes for a pretty high percentage of its list price. 500 is not unusual, I've seen people trying to sell them on CL for $600. If you really want a 735, best to just buy it new.  You'll get old waiting for a good auction price on that model. But then again, you never know. I've heard a story of a guy that got a DW735 still in the box from a widow for 250.  If true, then the guy who bought it is a lowlife but deal do happen.

I originally wanted a 735 and was keeping an eye on the local CL and auctions. Up came a Ridgid bench top planer that I picked up for $140. I figured it would hold me until a decent deal on a 735 came along. Instead, I found a 15" griz planer for $300 and change. Sold the ridgid for $200 (and he got a deal). I dropped a shelix into it and haven't looked back. The lessons? Patience is a virtue and buying used at the right time has little downside as long as you do your homework.

Here's a blog that touches on this topic.

Thanks for the info guys.  I decided to sit back and see where the price would go on the unit.  As it stands its already sitting at $335 so I'm out at that price.  I'll just keep watching CL and other auction sites to see what comes up.  I've been looking for about 6 months now so I figure I can wait a bit longer till the right one comes along.