Is it worth it to modify HF Dust Collector?

minorhero

Here’s a video of another guy who switched out his stock Harbor Freight with the Rikon impeller which is the same as the WEN branded impeller I installed. It shows a 1% increase in Amp draw on start up (not hooked up to a cyclone or tool), an average of 9% increase in amps when ready at a steady state connected to a tool (i.e. table saw), approximately 34% increase in static pressure and 15% increase in airflow.

So it looks like the measurements obtained in the video fall inline with what drzaius is saying. I’m not an engineer either, just looking for info to help this make sense to everyone.

https://youtu.be/2NOZTlwHe3A

Matt, how big is the intake if you pull the "Y"?  5"? 6"?  I picked up the SDD from Oneida yesterday and the HF DC should come in tomorrow.  Trying to lay out the plumbing and wiring.  It would be nice if the motor can be switched to 220V but at the price i'm guessing no. 

Tpt, I thought the same thing at first glance.  All I can tell you is there are numerous videos of this setup running after the swap and I haven't seen one that said anything about bad rotation or poor performance. 

On 1/14/2021 at 9:36 AM, MattCRNA said:

5" and from everything I've seen the Harbor Freight dust collector cannot be switched to 220v.

Thanks.

I swear I posted this already but don’t see it. I picked up the Wen fan blade ($35 to my door. Thank you)and the Oneida SDD which has a 6” output to the fan.  Looking for opinions on necking the SDD to 5” or opening the fan intake to 6”. It seems opening it to 6” would give me more psi drop in the cyclone for better separation providing it doesn’t hinder fan performance. 

I've read a couple of forums where the stock inlet plate was cut to 6" and something like this 6" air duct collar was used to attach to the SDD inlet with a short piece of 6" DC hose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058IUUDG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_smFbGb9NJY9Z1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think opening the inlet to 6" would cause any performance issues with the bigger impeller.

This guy, at least according to his post, has had the same HF dust collector for 15 years with these modifications and never even closes his blast gates and has great performance.

I plan on doing all of these other mods except the Wynn filter, I'm going to be venting outside.

Also I won't be installing any runs as my shop is my garage which also houses the wife's car, bicycles,etc. so all of my tools are mobilized. I just hook up my DC to each tool as I use it. Can be a pain in the arse I suppose but you learn how to be very organized in your work flow......LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattCRNA said:

I plan on doing all of these other mods except the Wynn filter, I'm going to be venting outside.

Also I won't be installing any runs as my shop is my garage which also houses the wife's car, bicycles,etc. so all of my tools are mobilized. I just hook up my DC to each tool as I use it. Can be a pain in the arse I suppose but you learn how to be very organized in your work flow......LOL

@MattCRNA, it sounds like you could benefit from those DC hose quick-connects that Izzy Swan is developing, or something like them.  I find that a short piece of pvc clamped to the hose works well, slipped into a mating pvc coupler adapted to each tool, but Izzy's connectors probably seal better.

• Thanks 1