Ridgid planer r4330

First , Switch on the machine , push one board to it and listen to its noise , if it works quiet , it is OK .

Second , switch off the machine and check the blade , if you find lot chips on its surface , google the blade price , if it is expensive , you can think twice before action .

Third , check the cutterhead use the normal HSS blades or carbide cutterhead , if it use the carbide cutter , check it used all face of the carbide cutter or not , if it just used one face , buy it .

10 hours ago, Hans Chen said:

First , Switch on the machine , push one board to it and listen to its noise , if it works quiet , it is OK .

That sounds to me like a big oversimplification.  Firstly,  no planer is quiet. Even freshly sharpened blades are quietER but someone shopping used for a planer may not know what it should sound like.  Your test board species also makes a sound difference.  

I have the 4331.  The blades are around $30.  Judging the noise is a matter of degree; when the blades are new, it is really loud, when they are dull, it is really, really loud. The shavings are different when the blades are dull - they are more like chips and less like curls. This is with SYP, which I have used most recently. 

It is a good unit.