Inappropriate Box

Chestnut

A couple months ago my uncle and godfather was diagnosed with minor colon cancer. It had not spread and the surgery should be simple. It how ever was not simple and every complication that could have happened, happened. My uncle has always appreciated hand made items and has always expressed interest in having something small made for him. After knowing that he was in the hospital frustrated with being stuck in bed i thought now was the perfect time to make him something that could cheer him up.

I had some scraps left over from the speaker build so i decided upon jatoba, walnut, and maple for the box. I had a nice piece of walnut that i saved from a fire pile that i cut up and used for the top. The bottom of box was maple that came from a pallet that i had sitting in my yard. I had 1 good idea to set the walnut of the top proud of the maple frame and then miter the sides as shown below. I really like how it turned out and will use the effect in the future.

This made his weekend, my uncle was really happy. The nurses Easter gift to him was to plug his ventilator pipe so he could talk for the first time in 2 months. I wasn't there but i head my box was a very common thing that he talked about.

1150177_10100955706274099_10764875942292

8765_10100955706244159_27392181486695388

796_10100955706368909_550624852181046759

I have a question for those out there that make small boxes. What is the best way to attach the bottoms? I use the maple base with a rabbet to hold the bottom on and left some room in there for movement, but i don't really like the look of it. I thought about doing a dado inside but with how thin the walls are i didn't want to weaken things. It's not perfect and there are a few things i wish i had done differently but i ran out of time.

• Like 2

Technically it's "grooves," not "dadoes."  Dadoes are cross-grain, grooves are with the grain.  I usually use a floating raised panel in grooves for my bottoms.  Often oriented so that the expansion happens in the back and I leave the back open and secured with a screw or two (for drawers, obviously...boxes are fully enclosed).

• Like 1