Best Quality For The $$ Circular Saw Blades

toneslinger

Is it just me or is the Freud Diablo Laser Cut Thin Kerf saw blade the best deal on the market?

I've bought 3-4 of them and had great results. I even put a 7 1/4" in my 10" Delta Contractor saw to cut some plywood and small pieces and have just left it there I like it so much.

What am I missing? There has gotta be a catch or some other better quality for the money!?!?

I'm a big Freud fan. I seem to recall that the Diablo series are lower cost because they have thinner carbide. They can't be sharpened as many times, but they have a lower initial cost. The other Freud blades cost more initially but can be sharpened more times. If I recall correctly, and if the thing I read was telling the truth.

I think the Diablo line consistently offers among the best bang for the buck on the market, but the premium blades do have their place too. Cut quality improves to some degree on most of the better premium blades from companies like Infinity, Forrest, CMT, Tenryu, and even Freud's top blades. Depending on the setup of a given saw, and how precise the arbor is spinning, the differences can get somewhat masked on some saws, but can also be easily detected on others. Beechwood Chip is correct that the carbide is smaller on the Diablo line, so they won't withstand as many sharpenings. Another consideration is that the Diablo line is only available in thin kerf, and offers fewer blade choices overall than Freud's Industrial line, and several other manufactures.

In case anyone is wondering, when I got my Sawstop the user's guide said that some blade coatings would interfere with the flesh sensing technology. I wondered if I could use my trusted red Freud blade. I asked Sawstop and they said to ask Freud. I asked Freud and they said that they had tested their blades and the red coating did not interfere with the Sawstop electronics.

It's beginning to seem like every other thread here is about Sawstop, and I absolutely do NOT want to go there. But, since I had bothered to research it I thought I'd pass it along.